For your information, sweet potatoes (yellow flesh) and yams (orange flesh) sold in the US and parts of Europe, although different vegetables from different botanical families, are similar in taste and can be used interchangeably. Don’t get them confused with true yams which are totally different – starchier, drier, much larger, with white flesh. True yams are used mostly in Africa and the Caribbean and are not suitable for this recipe.
Savory Sweet Potato Gratin isn’t just for holiday dinners; it goes well with almost any meat, and is especially good with ham, pork chops or pork roast. This recipe may make yam haters into yam lovers.
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and finely shredded
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spray a 9 x 9" square deep casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle the sweet potatoes with the salt and pepper, toss, and place in the prepared casserole dish.
- Whisk together the whipping cream and spices.
- Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake 45- 60 additional minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 333 Calories from Fat 202
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 61% Protein 4% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 82 mg
Sodium 328 mg
Total Carbohydrate 30 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 474% Vitamin C 44% Calcium 0% Iron 5%