This version of Bavarian Nut Stollen is easier, since the dough is made in the automatic bread machine. It can easily be made ahead and frozen, which is a huge help as the holiday creep closer and we become even busier shopping, baking, and readying the house for out-of-town guests. Bavarian Nut Stollen is perfect for a dessert on a holiday brunch buffet, and its not overly sweet, so its also good alongside salads. Shaping is easy, and step-by-step directions are shown.
1 cup water
1/3 cup dry milk
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sugar
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon yeast
4 egg whites, room temperature
2 cups finely chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
- Dough: Measure the dough ingredients into the pan of the automatic bread machine in the order given.
- Turn to the dough setting and start. After 5-10 minutes, check to make sure the ingredients have formed a soft ball of dough. If the dough is too soft, add additional flour; if the dough is stiff, add more water and start the cycle over.
- When the cycle has finished, transfer to a lightly floured pastry cloth or countertop.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle 22 x 12 inches on a floured board.
- Spread the filling over all, leaving about 1/2 inch on each edge.
- Roll up, jelly roll style, as tightly as possible, pinching edge together.
- Cut the roll in half lengthwise, leaving two long pieces.
- Place them a parchment-covered or well-greased baking sheet, one over the other forming an X.
- Twist the rolls together.
- Beat the egg and whipping cream; brush on the loaves.
- Let rise in a warm place until double; brush with the egg mixture again.
- Bake at 350° 30 to 35 minutes or until the loaves are golden and the filling is set. If the stollen browns too fast, cover loosely with foil. Remove from heat; cool on a rack.
- Mix the powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over the cooled stollen.
- Filling: combine the egg whites, pecans, almonds, sugar, 2 teaspoons of the water, an cinnamon in a saucepan.
- Stir in remaining water and almond extract.
- Cool to room temperature.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 297 Calories from Fat 133
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 9% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 36 mg
Sodium 155 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 5%