Because they are very moist, Mardi Gras Cupcakes can be made a few days ahead, or even frozen for longer storage. They keep well in an airtight container, as long as they are hidden, of course.
1 package white cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained (save the juice)
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup pineapple juice
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup white frosting
Green paste food coloring
Gold paste food coloring
Purple paste food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 12-cup or 1 24-cup muffin pan(s) with baking liners.
- Cupcakes: Combine cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and pineapple; mix well and scoop about 1/4 cup into each of the lined muffin cups.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and prick each several times with a fork.
- Glaze: Meanwhile place the sugar, lemon juice, and pineapple juice in a microwave safe bowl; bring to a boil in the microwave and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour about a 3/4 tablespoon over each of the cupcakes; let cool thoroughly.
- Topping: Mix the butter, sugar, and whipping cream in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When boiling, turn down to a simmer and let cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened; stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Spread each of the cupcakes with the hot topping, letting the liquid soak into the cupcakes; cool thoroughly.
- Decoration: Divide the frosting into three bowls, 1/3 cup each.
- Add paste coloring to each of the bowls.
- Drizzle each of the colors over the cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 278 Calories from Fat 193
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 69% Protein 3% Carb. 28%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 52 mg
Sodium 55 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 3%