Mardi Gras Cupcakes Recipe
Because they are very moist, Mardi Gras Cupcakes can be made a few days ahead, or even frozen for longer storage. They keep well in an airtight container, as long as they are hidden, of course.
1 package white cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained (save the juice)
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup pineapple juice
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 cup white frosting
Green paste food coloring
Gold paste food coloring
Purple paste food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 12-cup or 1 24-cup muffin pan(s) with baking liners.
- Cupcakes: Combine cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, and pineapple; mix well and scoop about 1/4 cup into each of the lined muffin cups.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and prick each several times with a fork.
- Glaze: Meanwhile place the sugar, lemon juice, and pineapple juice in a microwave safe bowl; bring to a boil in the microwave and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour about a 3/4 tablespoon over each of the cupcakes; let cool thoroughly.
- Topping: Mix the butter, sugar, and whipping cream in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When boiling, turn down to a simmer and let cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened; stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Spread each of the cupcakes with the hot topping, letting the liquid soak into the cupcakes; cool thoroughly.
- Decoration: Divide the frosting into three bowls, 1/3 cup each.
- Add paste coloring to each of the bowls.
- Drizzle each of the colors over the cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 278 Calories from Fat 193
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 69% Protein 3% Carb. 28%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 52 mg
Sodium 55 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.