Although itís ideal to serve these squares warm, they are equally good served at room temperature or chilled. Leftovers should be refrigerated.
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter
2 cups sliced rhubarb
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400į.
- Spray a shallow 9 x 7 x 2" or 8 x 8 x 2" glass casserole dish with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Crust: place flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in food processor and pulse to mix; add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Alternately, place the ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl; cut the butter into pieces and cut it in with a pastry blender.
- Pat the mixture evenly over the bottom of the baking dish (it will be crumbly and will not hold together Ė this is as it should be).
- Scatter the rhubarb slices evenly over the crust; sprinkle the brown sugar over the rhubarb.
- Whizz (blender or food processor) or whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, and whipping cream; pour over the rhubarb.
- Grate a little nutmeg over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 220
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 5% Carb. 30%
Nutrient Amount per Serving:
Total Fat 24 g 38%
Saturated Fat 15 g 73%
Cholesterol 155 mg 52%
Sodium 183 mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 26 g 9%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 1%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 21% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 4%