Rhubarb Custard Squares Recipe
Although it’s ideal to serve these squares warm, they are equally good served at room temperature or chilled. Leftovers should be refrigerated.
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter
2 cups sliced rhubarb
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a shallow 9 x 7 x 2" or 8 x 8 x 2" glass casserole dish with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Crust: place flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in food processor and pulse to mix; add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Alternately, place the ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl; cut the butter into pieces and cut it in with a pastry blender.
- Pat the mixture evenly over the bottom of the baking dish (it will be crumbly and will not hold together – this is as it should be).
- Scatter the rhubarb slices evenly over the crust; sprinkle the brown sugar over the rhubarb.
- Whizz (blender or food processor) or whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, and whipping cream; pour over the rhubarb.
- Grate a little nutmeg over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 220
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 5% Carb. 30%
Nutrient Amount per Serving:
Total Fat 24 g 38%
Saturated Fat 15 g 73%
Cholesterol 155 mg 52%
Sodium 183 mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 26 g 9%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 1%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 21% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 4%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.