This recipe has been in my family for years; it was a originally a submission from a neighbor, Beverly Wilson, in a church cookbook published in the 70’s. The recipe in the book made 12 dozen giant cookies and had to be mixed in a large dishpan. The following recipe has been cut in half, but if your mixer has a bowl less than 6 quart size, you may want to halve the ingredients one more time. The cookies keep for a week or so in a plastic container, or can be frozen for longer storage.
72 Giant Cookies
1/2 pound butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 pounds peanut butter (about 3 cups)
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
2 teaspoons corn syrup
4 teaspoons baking soda
9 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups M & M's Candies
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter, peanut butter, eggs, sugars, vanilla, and corn syrup until light and fluffy.
- Add the oatmeal, a cup at a time, mixing well after each cup, adding the soda along with the oatmeal.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and M & M's candies.
- Scoop 1/4 cup size balls onto parchment-lined baking sheets; 8 to a sheet to allow for spreading.
- With dampened hands, flatten each ball slightly.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are browned on the edges and fully set in the center. Make sure you don't underbake or they will fall apart.
- Remove from the oven, let sit on the baking sheet one minute, then transfer to cooling racks.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 191 Calories from Fat 88
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 10% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 82 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 5%