Giant homemade cookies are the perfect accompaniment to homemade ice cream at a backyard barbecue or family gathering. These Monster Cookies are a favorite with everyone, since they are chewy with plenty of texture and are full of crunchy oats, M&M’s, chocolate chips, and peanut butter. For those with a little more time, the cookies make perfect ice cream sandwiches. As an added bonus, these cookies contain no flour, so they are suitable for those with wheat allergies.
This recipe has been in my family for years; it was a originally a submission from a neighbor, Beverly Wilson, in a church cookbook published in the 70’s. The recipe in the book made 12 dozen giant cookies and had to be mixed in a large dishpan. The following recipe has been cut in half, but if your mixer has a bowl less than 6 quart size, you may want to halve the ingredients one more time. The cookies keep for a week or so in a plastic container, or can be frozen for longer storage.
72 Giant Cookies
1/2 pound butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 pounds peanut butter (about 3 cups)
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
2 teaspoons corn syrup
4 teaspoons baking soda
9 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups M & M's Candies
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter, peanut butter, eggs, sugars, vanilla, and corn syrup until light and fluffy.
- Add the oatmeal, a cup at a time, mixing well after each cup, adding the soda along with the oatmeal.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and M & M's candies.
- Scoop 1/4 cup size balls onto parchment-lined baking sheets; 8 to a sheet to allow for spreading.
- With dampened hands, flatten each ball slightly.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are browned on the edges and fully set in the center. Make sure you don't underbake or they will fall apart.
- Remove from the oven, let sit on the baking sheet one minute, then transfer to cooling racks.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 191 Calories from Fat 88
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 10% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 82 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 5%