One of my favorite ways to serve pork tenderloin is marinated in Mediterranean spices, then grilled to perfection (slightly pink in the center as it will continue to cook as it sits). It is then sliced and served inside freshly baked pita bread with a wonderful Cucumber Yogurt Sauce and thinly sliced red onion. This sandwich will remind you of Greek Gyro, only it is much better.
Put the pork in a Ziploc bag to marinate either the night before or in the morning before leaving for work. It will be ready for grilling when you return home. You can prepare the Cucumber Yogurt Sauce ahead, and if you’re short on time, stop at a bakery on your way home to purchase the fresh pita bread. All you need to complete this meal is to make a salad with packaged romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and a lemon/olive oil dressing. You can slice the onions, prepare the salad, and set the table while the meat is cooking. This meal is fast enough to prepare on a weeknight, and it is delicious.
Mediterranean Pork Tenderloin
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dry red wine
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, (packed)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1-pound pork tenderloins
Freshly baked pita bread
1 red onion, halved and sliced thin
Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- Mix the olive oil, red wine, garlic, lemon juice, bay leaf, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pat the pork tenderloins dry on paper towels, then trim off any fat or silver skin with a sharp knife.
- Place the trimmed tenderloins in a Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over; seal the bag.
- Refrigerate for 6-8 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- Remove the tenderloins from the bag and discard the marinade.
- Preheat the gas grill to high.
- Turn one side of the grill off, and lay the tenderloins on the side that is off.
- Close the lid and let grill for 10 minutes.
- Turn the tenderloins over and grill for an additional 10 minutes.
- Insert an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the tenderloin; it should register 145°.
- Transfer the cooked tenderloins to a clean serving plate or cutting board, cover with foil, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the pork tenderloin into thin slices.
- Heat the pita breads on the grill until hot but not crisp.
- Cut them in half and fill them with pork, sliced onions, and Cucumber Yogurt Sauce.
- Serve immediately with the remaining sauce on the side.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 317 Calories from Fat 98
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 31% Protein 27% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
Sodium 730 mg
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 22 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 10%