Everyone has a favorite cornbread recipe. Some are recipes that have been passed down through the family from mother to daughter or from grandmother to granddaughter.
Some were written by a shaky hand onto a little recipe card, and others were typed neatly with an old-fashioned typewriter. I even saw one written on a postcard and mailed to the recipient.
One of the great things about cornbread is that you can eat it with so many things. You might think that traditionally you should eat cornbread with taco salad, or tamales, or taco soup. Other people may serve it with fried chicken or lasagna.
I think you can serve cornbread any time, any day, not matter what you are serving.
Grandma GG’s Corn Bread and Honey Butter
Gather these ingredients:
• ˝ cup butter or margarine
• 2/3 cup sugar (or you can substitute with ˝ cup honey)
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk (or you can use 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar)
• ˝ tsp. baking soda
• 1 cup cornmeal
• 1 cup flour (you can use white or wheat flour)
• ˝ tsp salt
Follow these directions:
1. Melt the butter or margarine
2. In a large bowl put the sugar and add the melted butter and mix well
3. In a separate bowl beat the eggs
4. Add the eggs to the large bowl with the sugar and butter which has been well blended
5. Put the buttermilk in a large glass measuring cup and add ˝ teaspoon of baking soda
6. Add to the contents in the large bowl
7. Now add the cup of cornmeal and cup of flour and the ˝ teaspoon of flour- continue stirring
Grease an 8 inch by 8 inch square pan or you can also use a deep dish pie pan.
Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
This is a very moist and delicious cornbread. I like to make it in the pie pan and serve it in pie-shaped wedges.
This recipe can be doubled and can then be cooked in a 9 x 13 pan to make 15 servings.
Even though it is actually possible to eat cornbread without honey butter, why would you want to?
Allow ˝ cup of butter to soften to room temperature and mix with ˝ cup of honey. Continue mixing till smooth and creamy.
Optional: add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in to give it a yummy taste.