Healthy Hands on DVD is a 50 minute, comprehensive, upper-body conditioning program developed to improve the flexibility, strength and endurance of those at risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive strain injuries. It is a gentle program that can also be used for those recuperating from an injury.
Five exercise segments focus on different aspects of upper-body conditioning. Modifications are demonstrated that allow those at every fitness level to safely personalize the program.
- high injury risk
- recovering from an injury
The program can also be personalized based upon individual needs and daily time constraints. Simply choose the relevant exercise segments from the main menu. For example, you may perform the stretching program daily; however, three to four times a week, you may want to add the strengthening and core strengthening exercises.
The five main exercise sections on this DVD include:
- A General Warm-Up
- Upper Body Active Motion
- Upper Body Stretches
- Upper Body Strengthening
- Core Muscle Strengthening
Two additional segments provide information that will further reduce the risk of injury and complete this comprehensive, injury prevention program.
- Diaphragmatic Breathing Techniques
- Basic Office Ergonomic Education
This therapy-based, low-intensity exercise and injury prevention program is ideal for those starting out, starting over, or recuperating from an injury. It complements work-site stretch programs and therapeutic home exercise programs provided by physical and occupational therapists.
Instruction on the DVD is provided by a personal trainer who provides cues for safe exercise techniques, proper posture and form, and breathing.
Healthy Hands on DVD:
- is an injury recovery and prevention program produced by a certified hand therapist.
- is an exercise program ideal for those starting out, starting over, or recuperating from carpal tunnel syndrome or other repetitive strain injuries.
- provides exercise instruction with cues for safe technique.
- emphasizes repetitive strain injury prevention and recovery.
- provides clinical wisdom and tips.
- allows you to choose specific segments on DVD based on need and time constraints.
The benefits of performing the exercises in the program include:
- Reducing Injury Risk
- Maximizing Work Productivity
- Improving Posture
- Restoring Muscular Balance
- Promoting Recovery From Injury
- Developing Healthier Habits
For further information on the program or to view a demo, please visit Hand Health Resources.
Marji Hajic is an Occupational Therapist and a Certified Hand Therapist practicing in Santa Barbara, California. For more information on hand and upper extremity injuries, prevention and recovery, visit Hand Health Resources.