Quick & Easy Penne Pasta Bake
1 pound hot Italian sausage, casing removed
1/2 pound mild Italian pork sausage, casing removed
1 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce (your favorite)
1 cup cream soup mix
2 cups water
12 ounces penne pasta, cooked in boiling salted water until al dente
1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/2" dice
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the Italian Sausage in a large skillet over medium heat; brown, breaking it up with a fork.
- Continue cooking until no pink remains and it is fully cooked.
- Drain well and mix with the spaghetti sauce in a large bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together the cream soup mix and water in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave on high 2 minutes; whisk again and microwave to boiling, about 2 more minutes.
- Alternately, place the cream soup mix and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Pour the thickened cream soup mix into the spaghetti sauce/pasta mixture, stir well, and mix with the cooked pasta.
- Pour half of the pasta mixture into a deep 3 quart casserole dish; top with half of the zucchini and 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the remaining pasta mixture over the cheese and top with the remaining zucchini, mozzarella cheese, and the Parmesan cheese.
- If making ahead, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to two days ahead.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25-30 (45-60 if refrigerated) minutes or until bubbly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 420 Calories from Fat 211
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 50% Protein 22% Carb. 28%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 86 mg
Sodium 1087 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 20% Calcium 0% Iron 13%