This recipe comes from my friend Cheryl, who had me assemble them at a party she was hosting. As I read the recipe while putting these together, I had to wonder why someone like Cheryl, who is a fantastic cook and always serves showstopper dishes at her parties, would choose to serve something so weird. I was put in my place, however, when I discovered that not only were these little canapés delicious and very different from what I had imagined upon reading the recipe, they were the most popular appetizer offered at the party. No one could guess what these appetizers were made of or had a clue that they were so easy.
I tried making these canapés with reduced fat mayonnaise; the results were not good, so make sure you use high quality regular mayonnaise. Also, I rarely use the pre-grated Parmesan cheese in the green carton – we call it “cardboard Parmesan” at our house. In this case, however, the good Parmesan is too moist; the dryness of the cardboard Parmesan is what makes the recipe turn out right.
While these canapés are best served hot, I found that they are also delicious at room temperature.
Cheryl’s Onion Parmesan Triangles
5 slices plain white sandwich bread
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, (the cardboard kind in the shiny green container)
1 small onion, quartered and very thinly sliced
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut each piece diagonally into four triangles; set aside
- Mix the mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Spread a thin layer of the Parmesan mixture on each triangle.
- Place a few slices of onion on each of the triangles.
- Top the onions with a generous amount of the mayonnaise mixture and spread to completely cover the onions.
- Place the canapés on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Broil until bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 53 Calories from Fat 47
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 88% Protein 8% Carb. 4%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 79 mg
Total Carbohydrate 1 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 0%