The enchilada sauce must be made from scratch to make enchiladas that taste like those in a good Mexican restaurant. While I’m all for using convenience products to save time, there are some that are absolutely disgusting, and canned enchilada sauce is at the top of the list. Whenever I’ve tasted it in fact, I’ve thought that if I were in charge of feeding dangerous criminals, I would serve them canned enchilada sauce every day or so; I’m sure if they actually survived this ordeal, they would be released truly remorseful and fully rehabilitated. Luckily, enchilada sauce made from scratch is quick and easy.
These delicious enchiladas are quick enough for a weeknight dinner, and can be made on the spur of the moment since the taquitos can be added to the casserole dish frozen.
Shortcut Restaurant-Style Enchiladas
3 tablespoons shortening
6 tablespoons flour
3 cups cold water
1 tablespoon Pasilla chile powder, or substitute New Mexico Chile Powder or California Chile Powder
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon beef or chicken bouillon, to match the taquitos
2 teaspoons dehydrated onion flakes
3 cups grated cheddar jack cheese
8 frozen beef, chicken, or cheese taquitos
Lettuce and chopped tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Enchilada Sauce: In large saucepan, melt shortening.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook, stirring often, over medium heat until the flour mixture is the color of peanut butter. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
- Meanwhile, mix the water with the Pasilla chile powder, mild chili powder, salt, and bouillon; whisk into the flour mixture (It will spurt and bubble up).
- Whisk constantly over medium high heat until the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Assembly: Pour 1/3 of the mixture evenly over the bottom of a 9 x 13" baking dish; sprinkle with the dehydrated onion and half of the cheese.
- Arrange the taquitos evenly over the sauce; pour the remaining sauce over, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until the enchiladas are heated through and bubbly; serve immediately.
- Garnish with lettuce and tomatoes; if desired, add sour cream and salsa.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 367 Calories from Fat 222
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 61% Protein 24% Carb. 15%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 67 mg
Sodium 690 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 22 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 3%