One of the best meals in England is what is referred to as a full English breakfast. It consists of eggs, bacon or bangers (sausages), beans, and chips (fried potatoes) and is usually served with mushrooms, baked tomatoes, and toast on the side. It would be quite time-consuming to prepare all of these components separately, but the following English Breakfast Bake is easy – almost everything is baked in one dish. The actual hands-on time is minimal. While it is composed of breakfast items, it is substantial enough for dinner; it’s also a great choice for brunch.
Even if you aren’t English (St. George wasn’t, and it is widely thought that he actually never visited England), this different but delicious one-dish meal will become a favorite. Make sure you have a bottle of English brown sauce to serve on the side; it’s available in most larger grocery stores on the sauce and condiment aisle.
All-in-One English Breakfast Bake
1 1/2 pounds English bangers, or substitute your favorite link style uncooked sausages (Bratwurst sausages are the most similar to English Bangers that I’ve found in the US)
1 pound medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut lengthwise into eighths
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Seasoning salt, your favorite kind such as Lawry’s, Schilling Salt & Spice, etc.
1/2 pound large fresh mushrooms, stems removed
3/4 pound Roma tomatoes, cored and cut in half
2 14 oz. cans pork and beans
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- If the bangers are the larger 1" diameter sausages, cut them in half; if they are smaller, leave as they are. Place the sausages in a large shallow casserole dish.
- Place the potato wedges in a bowl and pour the vegetable oil over them.
- With your hands, coat each of the wedges with the oil and arrange them around the sausages; sprinkle them with the seasoning salt.
- Bake the sausages and potatoes in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and arrange the mushrooms and tomatoes in between the sausages and potatoes; sprinkle the mushrooms and tomatoes with seasoning salt.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp and the tomatoes and mushrooms are cooked through.
- Make six indentations in the casserole dish and break an egg into each one.
- Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the eggs are set. Serve immediately.
- Just before the eggs are done, heat the pork and beans separately either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- To serve: spoon some of the beans on serving plates, and surround them with the eggs, bangers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and chips.
- Serve with toast or English muffins on the side if desired.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 453 Calories from Fat 200
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 22% Carb. 34%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 263 mg
Sodium 1166 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 25 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 40% Calcium 0% Iron 25%