Summer Stolstice Prayer:
In thankfulness we lift our eyes
With loving thoughts in heart
We give thanks for all things good
For blessings the Creator imparts.
Let our hearts be ever glad
For beauty that abounds
And gives a taste of heaven's glory
When summer comes around.
The summer solstice marks the longest hours of daylight in the Northern Hemisphere.
It is a time for enjoying all nature has to offer in the outdoors. And if you live in the Southern Hemisphere, the seasons are reversed with the shortest hours of light now, and time for more indoor activities.
Living in either hemisphere, the solstice turning points are a time for inner reflection and positive growth.
Here is a plan for a solstice celebration for a group of people to hold outdoors - at the beach, park, in the mountains, or another space big enough wherever you live - or in a large indoor space.
The celebration ceremony
1. A central focal point is established. It could be a bon fire or candles or flowers - something universal to all, regardless of religious orientation.
2. To begin, everyone gathers round the central focal point in a circle and holds hands.
3. The leader or group recite a prayer, such as the one above, for spiritual growth in personal peace and world peace.
4. After the prayer follows a minute of silence for contemplation on the solstice as a time of strong spiritual practice and action.
5. The silence flows into uplifting group singing or peace chants. If the group knows a simple circle dance that could come next.
6. At the end of singing and dancing everyone sits down in place for a few minutes of silent meditation on the theme of spiritual growth.
7. Rounding out the ceremony, all rise, join hands and sing an uplifting song for world peace.
Independence Day Prayer
Group Meditation for World Peace - Daily Cyber Group
Interfaith Prayers and Meditations
For offline reading
Meditation for all Kids
Sitting, walking, dance and group circle meditations, along with positive affirmations, verses and benefits of meditation for kids of all ages and abilities in a 100 page book with illustrations.
Meditation Lessons for Adults
More than 70 offerings, from guided meditation techniques to on-the-go stress relief and relationship meditations interspersed with verse, and a section of special occasion prayers. 114 pages.
Article by Susan Helene Kramer; photo credit of farm in The Netherlands by Stan Schaap. The farm represents the time of year of the Summer Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere.