Fresh basil is readily available, and during the summer, most gardens have a basil plant or two; the leaves are used to advantage in these easy rolls. The bread machine breaks up the basil during the dough process, so there is no need to chop it first. Another time saver for these delicious rolls is the use of garlic that comes in jars already minced. If there are no leftover mashed potatoes, just mix instant mashed potato flakes into 1/2 cup hot water and add them to the dough. Cold milled flax seed is a nutritious addition to any bread recipe, but is strictly optional, so if it isn’t readily available, simply leave it out.
These attractive rolls are great served with soups or salads, as well as main dishes. They’re best hot from the oven slathered in butter, but are also good at room temperature.
Automatic bread machines are quite inexpensive new, and if used mainly for dough, a fancy expensive one isn’t necessary. Even cheaper versions are always available at thrift shops for under $10.00.
Shortcut Herb & Pepper Knots
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup mashed potatoes, (can be made from instant potato flakes)
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cold milled flax, (optional)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, (no need to chop- they'll break up in the bread machine)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- Place the dough ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order given.
- Start the dough cycle and check after 5 minutes; if the dough is too stiff, add a little more water. If the dough is too soft to form a soft ball, add a little more flour.
- When the dough cycle is completed, transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll or pat to a rectangle about 12 x 12.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 long strips; cut across the dough to make each strip into two.
- Stretch each strip and tie in a knot, tucking the ends under, and place on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet.
- Cover loosely with a dishtowel and let rise till double.
- Carefully brush the risen rolls with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Amount Per Roll
Calories 102 Calories from Fat 33
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 9% Carb. 59%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 9 mg
Sodium 210 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Purchase a Sunbeam 5891 2-Pound Programmable Breadmaker from Amazon
Purchase a Oster 5838 ExpressBake Breadmaker, White from Amazon
Purchase a Cuisinart CBK-100 Programmable Breadmaker from Amazon