For those who donít have a stash of Thai ingredients, a trip to the Asian grocery store will be necessary to pick up the fresh kaffir lime leaves. And while there, itís a good idea to purchase several of the red and green jalapeno peppers, since all three of these fresh ingredients can be thrown in the freezer without any advance prep and used in numerous Thai dishes straight from the freezer. Chopped lemongrass is available in the freezer section at most Asian grocery stores specializing in Thai and Vietnamese foods, or fresh lemon grass can be substituted; just pound the white end with a mallet to bruise it and add it to the soup (remove it before serving). While unsweetened coconut milk and Thai red curry paste are available at regular grocery stores on the Asian aisle, they are much cheaper when purchased at the Asian store.
While most cooks have favorite soups that they serve over and over, this spicy warming soup is a great change and will certainly become a favorite.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 red jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 green jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass
1 to 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (less for mild; more for spicy)
6 kaffir lime leaves, torn
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
3 cups Basic Cream Soup Mix
6 cups cold water
2 to 3 cups turkey breast cubes from the Slow Cooker Turkey Breast Module, diced or shredded
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and red and green jalapeno peppers; stir over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lemongrass, curry paste, lime leaves, and coconut milk.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the red and green bell peppers.
- Mix the Basic Cream Soup Mix with the cold water and stir the mixture into the soup.
- Add the turkey and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove the kaffir lime leaves and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 422 Calories from Fat 225
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 53% Protein 22% Carb. 25%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 581 mg
Total Carbohydrate 26 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 25% Vitamin C 69% Calcium 0% Iron 13%