As most busy cooks know, saving as few as two or three minutes helps when time is at a premium, and self-rising flour is a timesaver, eliminating the need to measure salt and leavening into a recipe. Another time, substitute dried cranberries or currants, and add some grated orange zest rather than the almond extract for different, but equally delicious muffins.
Makes 12 standard-size muffins
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups self-rising flour
2/3 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Place the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl; cream them together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, milk, and almond extract; mix until smooth.
- With the mixer at low speed, add the flour, mixing just until combined.
- Scoop or spoon a heaping 1/4 cup of the mixture into each of the 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Serve hot with lots of real butter.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 226 Calories from Fat 120
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 53% Protein 10% Carb. 37%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 88 mg
Sodium 127 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4%