When making the dough into bread bowls (pictured), itís a good idea to serve them filled with soup or stew on the same day they are baked, since they soften when stored in bags.
Although they may look difficult and time-consuming, the automatic bread machine takes the work out of making the dough. The pumpkins are easily shaped into balls, an X is cut into the middle of the ball, and a stem is plunged down inside the X. A razor or sharp knife makes the ribs.
These cute pumpkin bread bowls are great for the Halloween BOO-ffet but are also suitable for the entire pumpkin season, right through the new year.
6 Bread Bowls
1 cup water
1/4 cup dry milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 to 2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon yeast
- Place the ingredients in the order given in the pan of the automatic bread machine.
- Set the machine to the dough cycle and let run for 5 minutes; check to see that there is enough liquid (add more if not) or flour (add more if necessary) to make a soft dough.
- When the cycle is finished, divide the dough into six pieces, and cut off a piece about 1 x 1" off of each of the six.
- Roll the larger pieces into balls.
- Shape the small pieces into cylinders to form the stem.
- With a sharp knife, make an X on the top of each ball in the center.
- Press the X open and insert the cylinder, pressing it down a little to resemble the stem on a pumpkin.
- Place each of the pumpkins on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets with plenty of room for rising.
- When the pumpkins have risen, use a razor or very sharp knife to score each to resemble the ribs of a pumpkin.
- Heat the oven to 400į.
- When the oven is hot, spray or brush each of the pumpkins with water and immediately place in the oven (this creates steam and makes the crust crisp)
- Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly on cooling racks.
- To use, cut the top off of each bread bowl and hollow out the middle; fill with hot soup and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 397 Calories from Fat 49
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 12% Protein 14% Carb. 74%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 460 mg
Total Carbohydrate 73 g
Dietary Fiber 10 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 14 g
Vitamin A 185% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 18%