The idea for this delicious soup comes from the soup served as part of Delta Airlines’ Business Class dinner service on international flights. Everyone seems to love it (especially the flight attendants who frequently sample leftovers), and it is a welcome change from the previous soup served onboard, cream of lettuce, which can also be made from this soup mix, but definitely shouldn’t be, since it is absolutely disgusting!
Sprinkle this soup with a few chopped pieces of green onions for color and a few (homemade if there’s time) croutons for crunch. Leftovers are also great for lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich.
6 Servings (more if using as a first course)
2 tablespoons butter
4 cups yellow onions, peeled, quartered, and thinly sliced
2 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
5 cups water
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup whipping cream
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over low heat; stir in the onions, and let them cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, mix the soup mix and water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Place half of the onions in a blender container or food processor.
- Pour in 2 cups of the soup; blend until smooth, then add the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and whipping cream.
- Heat through and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 434 Calories from Fat 268
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 62% Protein 11% Carb. 27%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 19 g
Cholesterol 98 mg
Sodium 861 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 12 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 2%