Timesavers, besides the Basic Creole Sauce Module (which hopefully is already in the freezer), are quick grits, and greens made in the slow cooker. Crusty French bread and a salad make perfect accompaniments to this dish. It’s even fancy enough to serve company. Leftover sauce is great gently reheated and served over rice.
1 recipe Slow Cooker Southern Greens
Fried Grits Patties
3 cups cooked grits
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
1 cup dry bread crumbs
oil for deep frying
Creole Shrimp Sauce:
1/4 pound andouille sausage, diced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup flour
2 cups Basic Creole Sauce, from the Basic Creole Sauce Module
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, or 1 1/2 cups water with 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
1 to 2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp
chopped green onion tops
- Start the greens in the slow cooker early in the day, or they can be cooked a day ahead and reheated when ready to serve.
- Grits Patties: Mix the hot cooked grits with the cheese and hot pepper sauce; let cool 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the eggs.
- Let the mixture cool and using a 1/2 cup measure, form 6 round patties, about 3/4" thick.
- Measure the bread crumbs onto a large plate; press each of the patties into the crumbs, pressing to insure they adhere.
- Place the patties in a single layer on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until just before serving (they can be made a day ahead).
- Just before serving, heat oil in a deep fryer to 375°.
- Fry the grits patties, one or two at a time (don't crowd) until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 300° oven. The patties can also be fried early in the day and reheated in a 350° oven just prior to serving.
- Creole Sauce: Brown the andouille sausage in a skillet; remove to paper towels.
- Add the vegetable oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in enough of the flour to make a thick paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture turns medium-brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Bring the Basic Creole Sauce to a boil in a medium-size saucepan.
- Stir in the roux and cook until thickened, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, hot sauce, andouille sausage, and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Turn down the heat; simmer until the shrimp barely turn pink.
- Assembly: Place a mound of greens on each serving plate.
- Top the greens with a fried grits patty.
- Ladle the shrimp sauce mixture over all.
- Garnish with a few chopped green onion tops, and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 545 Calories from Fat 311
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 26% Carb. 17%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 35 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 313 mg
Sodium 1301 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 36 g
Vitamin A 67% Vitamin C 37% Calcium 0% Iron 26%