Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Guest Author - Danielle Hollister
- "Courage that grows from constitution often forsakes a man when he has occasion for it courage which arises from a sense of duty acts in a uniform manner. "
-- Joseph Addison
- "Courage is simply the willingness to be afraid and act anyway. "
-- Robert Anthony
- "Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
- "The brave man is not he who feels no fear, For that were stupid and irrational; But he, whose noble soul its fears subdues, And bravely dares the danger nature shrinks from. "
-- Joanna Baillie
- "Courage is a special kind of knowledge: the knowledge of how to fear what ought to be feared and how not to fear what ought no to be feared."
- "Courage is the ladder on which all the other virtues mount."
--Clare Boothe Luce
- "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."
--General Omar Bradley
- "Courage is reclaiming your life after a devastating event robs you of your confidence and self-esteem. It is facing tomorrow with a firm resolve to reach deep within yourself to find another strength, another talent...It is taking yourself to another level of your own existence where you are once again whole, productive, special..."
- "Courage is almost a contradiction in terms: it means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die. "
-- Gilbert K. Chesterton
- "This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure. "
-- Winston Churchill
- "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
- "Since fear is mostly about ignorance, the best part is that it's as temporary as you choose. "
-- Christine Comaford
- "Courageous risks are life-giving, they help you grow, make you brave, and better than you think you are."
--Joan L. Curcio
- Common experience shows how much rarer is moral courage than physical bravery. A thousand men will march to the mouth of the cannon where won man will dare espouse an unpopular cause."
- "Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things; Knows not the livid loneliness of fear; Nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear The sound of wings."
- "Half a man's wisdom goes with his courage. "
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "What a new face courage puts on everything! "
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Courage is the atom of change."
--Bettina R. Flores
- "The best way out is always through. "
-- Robert Frost
- "Confront your fears, list them, get to know them, and only then will you be able to put them aside and move ahead."
- "Courage is very important. Like a muscle, it is strengthened by use."
- "Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are stiffened."
- "Give us the fortitude to endure the things which cannot be changed, and the courage to change the things which should be changed, and the wisdom to know one from the other. "
-- Oliver J. Hart
- "Courage is grace under pressure. "
-- Ernest Hemingway
- "The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart. "
-- Robert Green Ingersoll
- "One man with courage makes a majority. "
-- Andrew Jackson
- "Fear and love can never be experienced at the same time. It is always our choice as to which of these emotions we want."
- "Bravery has no place where it can avail nothing. "
-- Samuel Johnson
- "I'd rather give my life than be afraid to give it. "
-- Lyndon Baines Johnson
- "Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads."
- Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it."
- "The courage of life is often a less dramatic spectacle than the courage of a final moment, but it is no less than a magnificent mixture of triumph and tragedy. People do what they must~~in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures~~and that is the basis of all human morality."
--John F. Kennedy
- "Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, these ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."
--Robert F. Kennedy
- "Be bold. If you're going to make an error, make a doozy, and don't be afraid to hit the ball."
--Billie Jean King
- "We must build dikes of courage to hold back the flood of fear."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "Adventure can be an end in itself. Self-discovery is the secret ingredient that fuels daring."
- "Running away will never make you free. "
-- Kenny Loggins
- "Because a fellow has failed once or twice, or a dozen times, you don't want to set him down as a failure till he's dead or loses his courage~~and that's the same thing."
- "Last, but by no means least, courage~~moral courage, the courage of one's convictions, the courage to see things through. The world is in a constant conspiracy against the brave. It's the age-old struggle~~the roar of the crowd on one side and the voice of your conscience on the other. "
-- Douglas MacArthur
- "Discouragement is not the absence of adequacy but the absence of courage."
--Neal A. Maxwell
- "Courage can't see around corners, but goes around them anyway."
- "Something happens to me when I witness someone's courage. They may not know I'm watching and I might not let them know. But something happens to me that will last me for a lifetime. To fill me when I'm empty, and rock me when I'm low."
- "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
- "I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and row brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-- Thomas Paine
- "No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop after eating one peanut."
-- Channing Pollock
- "True courage is like a kite; a contrary wind raises it higher."
-- John Petit-Senn
- "Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed."
- "Courage is not simply another virtue, it is the true form each and every virtue takes when put into practice."
- "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. "
-- Ambrose Redmoon
- "Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared. "
-- Eddie Rickenbacher
- "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. "
-- Theodore Roosevelt
- "Do what you fear and fear disappears."
--David Joseph Schwartz
- "Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. "
-- William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
- "Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow."
--Alice M. Swaim
- "Considering how dangerous everything is, nothing is really very frightening."
- "The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. "
- "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear~~not absence of fear. "
-- Mark Twain
- "Have courage for the great sorrows of life and for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake."
- "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"
--Vincent van Gogh
- "Don't forget to pack your courage for your journey to greatness."
- "I am a writer who came of a sheltered life. A sheltered life can be a daring life as well. For all serious daring starts from within."
- "I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today."
--William Allen White
- "It takes vision and courage to create~~it takes faith and courage to prove."
-- Owen D. Young
|Courage-Fireman with Axe|
Never miss a thing. Join Thrillist -- the daily shot of everything you need to know.
Sign up now
-- it's free and easy
Content copyright © 2015 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact