Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
- "I believe we are observing a race between the trend toward the successful social application of technology and the trend of public alienation with technology. I fear that if there is widespread disillusion with technology, scientific thought itself will not long be free andsupported, and some dark ages may be upon us."
- "In every human soul as it confronts the world there is a sense of theportentous. Our existence, our being here at all, our being in the world, is the reallyportentous fact for us; it is the sense of the unfamiliar, the strange, the threatening, the sense of not being at home in the world, even when there are no special threats ... all technology is the overcoming of theportentousness in things. The bare knowing, the classifying of things by means of laws and general interrelationships, represents a repression of their demonic depths, of their incomprehensibility, of their strangeness, their threat to human existence."
--John Luther Adams
- "The best simpleminded test of expertise in a particular area is an ability to win money in a series of bets on future occurrences in that area."
- "One cannot change the past, but one can ruin the present by worrying over the future."
- "The future should be something we deserve, not something which is merely reached at the rate of 60 minutes per hour."
- "Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition."
- "Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present."
- "The future is like heaven everyone exalts it, but no one wants to go there now."
- "... We must move from ... the primacy of technology toward considerations of social justice and equity, from the dictates of organizational convenience toward the aspirations ofself realization and learning, from authoritarianism and dogmatism toward more participation, from uniformity and centralization toward diversity and pluralism, from the concept of work as hard and unavoidable, from life as nasty, brutish, and short toward work as purpose and self~fulfillment, a recognition of leisure as a valid activity in itself."
- "Prediction is very difficult, especially of the future."
- "When all else is lost, the future still remains."
-- Christian Nestell Bovee
- "The future will belong not only to the educated man, but to the man who is educated to use his leisure wisely."
--C. K. Brightbill
- "We are all afraid for our confidence, for the future, for the world. That is the nature of the human imagination. Yet every man, every civilization, has gone forward because of its engagement with what it has set itself to do."
|The Future Is Now|
- "Very strange is this quality of our human nature which decrees that unless we feel a future before us we do not live completely in the present."
- "Light tomorrow with today!"
--Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- "Technology is the expression of the society; it is an expression of the values and the abilities of the people that generate it. It is indeed a most revealing indicator of our society. and the fact is that technology in turn shapes the values of a society and of its people."
- "Do your duty and a little more and the future will take care of itself."
- "One problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us."
- "In the increasingly mechanized, automated, cybernated environment of the modern world a cold, bodiless world of wheels, smooth plastic surfaces, tubes, pushbuttons, transistors, computers, jet propulsion, rockets to the moon, atomic energy man's need for affirmation of his biology has become that much more intense."
- "The challenges of change are always hard. It is important that we begin to unpack those challenges that confront this nation and realize that we each have a role that requires us to change and become more responsible for shaping our own future."
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
- "Learn the past, watch the present, and create the future."
- "The world is full of people whose notion of a satisfactory future is, in fact, a return to theidealized past."
- "The machine not only does it relieve us mechanically of a crushing weight of physical and mental labor; but by the miraculous enhancing of our senses, through its powers of enlargement, penetration and exact measurement, it constantly increases the scope and clarity of our perceptions. It fulfills the dream of all living creatures by satisfying our instinctive craving for the maximum of consciousness with a minimum of effort! Having embarked upon so profitable a path, how can Mankind fail to pursue it? "
--Teilhard de Chardin
- "[It would be safer] never to participate in anything in the future without consulting the American Legion or your local Chamber of Commerce."
- "Predicting the future is easy. It's trying to figure out what's going on now that's hard."
--Fritz R. S. Dressler
- "I never think of the future it comes soon enough."
- "The sad truth is that opportunity doesn't knock twice. You can put things off until tomorrow but tomorrow may never come."
- "Forecasting is very difficult, especially if it's about the future."
--Edgar R. Fiedler
- "I have long considered it one of God's greatest mercies that the future is hidden from us. If it were not, life would surely be unbearable."
- "The danger of the past was that men became slaves. The danger of the future is that men may become robots. True enough, robots do not rebel. But given man's nature, robots cannot live and remain sane."
- "Getting on the cover of TIME guarantees the existence of opposition in the future."
--John Kenneth Galbraith
- "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."
- "If we can recognize that change and uncertainty are basic principles, we can greet the future and the transformation we are undergoing with the understanding that we do not know enough to be pessimistic."
- "I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."
-- Patrick Henry
- "Man does work for profit in order to enjoy pain; but in a positive sense, he works to enjoy the excitement and meaning that achievement provides for his own psychological growth and thereby his happiness."
- "The only certain thing about the future is that it will surprise even those who have seen furthest into it."
--E. J. Hobsbawm
- "To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint."
- "The problem that we face is a collective responsibility in order to balance on the one hand the competitive enterprise system from which innovation, entrepreneurship and new products and new processes come and, on the other hand, a sensible series of restraints. To try to wish away one or the other, to say that government can produce the products and services, or that the enterprise system can take care of the public good, I think, is misreading the times."
--J. Herbert Hollomon
- "We have tomorrow Bright before us Like a flame."
- "I hold that man is in the right who is most closely in league with the future."
- "The future is purchased by the present."
- "For if Freedom and Communism were to compete for man's allegiance in a world at peace, I would look to the future with ever increasing confidence."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
--John F. Kennedy
- "Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future."
--John F. Kennedy
- " My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
-- Charles F. Kettering
- "The future belongs to people who see possibilities before they become obvious."
- "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does."
--C. S. Lewis
- "Look not mournfully into the past, it comes not back again. Wisely improve the present, it is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future without fear and with a manly heart."
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- "If I have been able to see farther than others, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."
--Sir Isaac Newton
- "For democracy is a method of finding proximate solutions for insoluble problems."
- "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."
- "When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
--John M. Richardson, Jr.
- "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- "The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith."
-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt
- "We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future."
--Franklin D. Roosevelt
- "We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will be the past; and we must respect the past, knowing that once it was all that was humanly possible."
- "Societies will, of course, wish to exercise prudence in deciding which technologies that is, which applications of science are to be pursued and which not. But without funding basic research, without supporting the acquisition of knowledge for its own sake, our options become dangerously limited."
- "The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths to it are not found but made, and the activity of making them changes both the maker and the destination."
- "To believe in something to yet proved and to underwrite it with our lives; it is the only way we can leave the future open."
- "The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, he is a parent of the future."
- "The future depends entirely on what each of us does every day."
- "There is no hope the future will but turn the old sand in the falling glass of time."
--R. H. Stoddard
- "All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose."
- "The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be."
-- Paul Valery
- "And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep."
--Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
- "In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes."
- "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
--H. G. Wells
- "It is the business of the future to be dangerous; and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties."
--Alfred North Whitehead
|Believe in the Future|
Never miss a thing. Join Thrillist -- the daily shot of everything you need to know.
Sign up now
-- it's free and easy
Content copyright © 2015 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact