Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
How To Make-Castor Oil Packs
Castor oil has been used externally for centuries as a natural therapy, to improve assimilation, elimination, the lymphatic system and circulation. Good circulation is required for supportive nutrients to be delivered to the cells, and for waste products and inflammatory factors to be removed.
Castor oil packs may be beneficial in treating the following ailments
*Liver overload due to taking prescribed or over-the-counter drugs
*Drinking too much alcohol
*Conditions that tax or compromise your immune system,
*Problems involving lymph flow
*Inflammation: joints, arthritis, bursitis, muscles, organs
*Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gall bladder)
*If a castor oil pack is placed over your liver area, it will help your liver to do its work more efficiently, including the metabolism of your hormones.
*Kidney, and pelvic disorders
*Neuritis (inflammation of the nerves)
*Intestinal disorders such as constipation, stricture, colon impaction, colitis
*Menstrual irregularities and uterine and ovarian cysts
*Incoordination between nervous systems
*Toxemia - blood poisoning caused by bacterial toxic substances in the blood
How it works
A castor oil pack is placed on the skin to increase circulation and to promote elimination and healing of the tissues and organs underneath the skin. It is used to stimulate the liver, relieve pain, increase lymphatic circulation, reduce inflammation, and improve digestion. For this reason, it is important to use organic castor oil, which you can obtain from a health food store.
A castor oil pack can be placed on the following body regions:
*If placed on the right side of the abdomen it will help to stimulate the
*Castor oil packs have often been recommended for a liver detoxifying program.
*Castor oil packs help inflamed and swollen joints, bursitis, and muscle strains.
*If placed on the abdomen it helps to relieve constipation and other digestive disorders.
*If placed on the lower abdomen it helps in cases of menstrual irregularities and uterine and ovarian cysts.
*Castor oil packs can be placed directly on inflamed aching joints and muscles
Castor oil pack materials
Three layers-natural cotton flannel or un-dyed wool, make sure the fabric is large enough to cover the affected area
1. Pure organic castor oil
2. Plastic wrap cut 1-2" larger than the flannel (can be cut from a plastic bag)
3. Hot water bottle
4. Container with lid
5. Castor oil will stain clothing and bedding so use old clothes and sheets.
How to use castor oil packs
It is easy to make your own castor oil pack, using a flannel a plastic bag and a hot water bottle. Castor Oil Compress -packs are made by soaking a piece of flannel in castor oil and placing it on the skin. The flannel is covered with a sheet of plastic, and then a hot water bottle is placed over the plastic to heat the pack.
1. Saturate the disposable flannel with oil, but not so much that it is drippy. Fold it over and squeeze until it the oil is spread evenly across the flannel, then unfold.
2. Lie down, placing flannel over abdomen and around the sides. Lift it to just under the breasts so that it is fitted neatly.
3. Place a hot water bottle on top of the flannel and cover yourself up with a blanket or robe to keep warm. The castor oil will heat up and be absorbed through the skin. Place over the abdomen area, around the pelvic area and up around the stomach and liver. You can move it about if you like to get the full benefit.
4. Rest for 30-60 minutes Relax, watch TV, meditate or sleep. A good time to use castor oil packs is just before bedtime.
5. When finished, it's best if you don't get up and walk around too much, or be busy (except to go to the bathroom). Try to stay still and relaxed.
When you have finished, place the disposable flannel in a plastic bag and store in a cool place to be used again later. Wash the treated area with solution of
3 tablespoons of baking soda to 1 quart of water to remove the oil.
To be effective, a castor oil pack must be used at least 3 times a week, although 5 times a week is better. In cases of long-term chronic pain, it works best to commit to a 6 week treatment period using a castor oil pack 5 times per week, then as needed for episodes of pain.
Castor oil should not be taken internally.
This article is for information only and is not to replace the advice of your doctor. For treatment, consult your health care practitioner.
Content copyright © 2015 by Victoria Abreo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Victoria Abreo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Victoria Abreo for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.