Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
- "That which today calls itself science gives us more and more information, and indigestible glut of information, and less and less understanding."
- "Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water."
- "Everything that happens happens as it should, and if you observe carefully, you will find this to be so."
- "It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree. "
- "The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend."
--Henri L Bergson
- "Man is always inclined to be intolerant towards the thing, or person, he hasn't taken the time adequately to understand..."
--Robert R. Brown
- "Man masters nature not by force but by understanding."
- "Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow. Delay may give clearer light as to what is best to be done."
- "Science has a simple faith, which transcends utility. It is the faith that it is the privilege of man to learn to understand, and that this is his mission."
- "Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."
- "It is not necessary to hope in order to understand, nor to succeed in order to persevere."
--Charles The Bold
- "I hear, I forget. I see, I remember. I do, I understand."
- "For in the end, We will conserve only what we love, We will love only what we understand, We will understand only what we are taught."
- "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
--Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach
- "Those who understand only what can be explained understand very little."
--Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach
- "Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "When the eyes say one thing and the tongue another, the practiced person relies on the language of the first."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."
- "The reality of the other person is not in what he reveals to you, but in what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says but rather what he does not say."
- "It is well go give when asked but it is better to give unasked, through understanding. "
- "If someone listens, or stretches out a hand, or whispers a word of encouragement, or attempts to understand a lonely person, extraordinary things begin to happen."
- "To know someone here or there with whom you can feel there is understanding in spite of distances or thoughts expressed. That can make life a garden. "
|Attitude: Forest Light|
"It is in the ability to open our eyes and minds where limitless wonders are discovered."
- "Traditions are the guideposts driven deep in our subconscious minds. The most powerful ones are those we can't even describe, aren't even aware of."
- "Understanding is knowing what to do; wisdom is knowing what to do next; virtue is actually doing it."
- "There would be no society if living together depended upon understanding each other."
- "The crown of life is neither happiness nor annihilation; it is understanding."
- "He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words. "
-- Elbert Hubbard
- "We can sometimes love what we do not understand, but it is impossible completely to understand what we do not love."
- "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
- "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation."
- "There is a great difference between knowing and understanding: you can know a lot about something and not really understand it. "
-- Charles F. Kettering
- "That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way."
- "The improvement of understanding is for two ends: first, our own increase of knowledge; secondly, to enable us to deliver that knowledge to others. "
-- John Locke
- "Instead of condemning people, try to understand them. Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain -- and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving."
--Lawrence G. Lovasik
- "A better world shall emerge based on faith and understanding. "
--General Douglas MacArthur
- "Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again."
- "Understanding is curing ignorance and curing ignorance is abolishing fear. "
- "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- "To teach is to understand. To learn is wisdom. To learn together is understanding wisdom. "
- "Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden..."
- "I've come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy."
- "The smaller the understanding of the situation, the more pretentious the form of expression."
--John Romano, M.D.
- "Understanding is a two-way street. "
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
- "And verily, a woman need know but one man well, in order to understand all men; whereas a man may know all women and understand not one of them."
- "The brain is like a muscle. When it is in use we feel very good. Understanding is joyous."
- "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. "
-- Upton Sinclair
- "Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes."
- "Understanding human needs is half the job of meeting them. "
- "Don't write merely to be understood. Write so that you cannot possibly be misunderstood."
--Robert Louis Stevenson
- "We shall see but a little way if we require to understand what we see."
--Henry David Thoreau
- "If one is master of one thing and understands one thing well, one has at the same time, insight into and understanding of many things. "
- "Do not hover always on the surface of things, nor take up suddenly with mere appearances; but penetrate into the depth of matters, as far as your time and circumstances allow, especially in those things which relate to your profession."
- "Furious activity is no substitute for understanding. "
--H. H. Williams
- "Whatever you cannot understand, you cannot possess. "
-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- "I respect the man who knows distinctly what he wishes. The greater part of all mischief in the world arises from the fact that men do not sufficiently understand their own aims. They have undertaken to build a tower, and spend no more labor on the foundation than would be necessary to erect a hut."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Content copyright © 2015 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact