Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
10 Luck Quotes From Songs
Luck is a popular theme in music, whether it's good, bad or indifferent. Here are 10 songs about this often elusive trait from different genres, some old and some more recent.
1. Luck Be A Lady: Arguably the most well known version of this song was performed by king of cool Frank Sinatra. It was, however, originally featured in the film Guys and Dolls and gives the point of view of a gambler counting on a win and pleads with luck thus:
"Luck be a lady tonight
Luck be a lady tonight
Luck if you've been a lady to begin with
Luck be a lady tonight"
2. Lucky sung by Britney Spears: This song from Oops!...I Did It Again tells the story of Lucky, a movie star who seems to have it all but appearances aren't always what they seem.
"She's so lucky, she's a star
But she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart, thinking
If there's nothing missing in my life
Then why do these tears come at night?"
3. Lucky Star by Madonna: This love song from Madonna's debut album became a top-five Billboard hit.
"You must be my lucky star
'Cause you shine on me wherever you are
I just think of you and I start to glow
And I need your light and baby you know"
4. With a Little Luck: One of the fab four known as the Beatles, Paul McCartney wrote this song for his wife Linda which opens with:
"With a little luck we can help it out
We can make this whole damn thing work out
With a little love we can lay it down
Can't you feel the town exploding?"
5. Born Under a Bad Sign: Have you ever listened to the blues to make yourself feel better? The blues is full of songs about bad luck. Born Under a Bad Sign sung originally by Albert King has become not only a blues staple but crossed over into rock and covered by rock legend Jimi Hendrix and many others. I think most people have felt this way at least once in their lives.
"Born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all"
6. Some Guys Have All the Luck: Classic rocker Rod Stewart opines how other men have better luck with women, though since he's been married to a super model, it's hard to feel sorry for him.
"Some guys have all the luck
Some guys have all the pain
Some guys get all the breaks
Some guys do nothing but complain"
7. Lucky Man: "Ooh what a lucky man he was" is the ironic line from this anti-war song written by Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and Palmer to describe the not so lucky subject of the piece.
8. The Lucky One: This song by bluegrass singer Alison Krauss & Union Station tells the story of the guy who finds his luck everywhere:
"You're the lucky one, I know that now
Don't ask you why, when, where or how
You look at the world through your smilin' eye
And laugh at the Devil as his train rolls by
Give you a song and a one-night-stand
And you'll be lookin' at a happy man, 'Cause you're the lucky one"
9. You Got Lucky by Tom Petty: Rocker Tom Petty reminds the lady in his life to think twice before she mistreats him.
"Good love is hard to find
Good love is hard to find
You got lucky babe
Yeah, you got lucky babe
When I found you"
10. Lady Luck by Jamie Woon: This catchy tune by the British singer and songwriter bemoans how fickle lady luck is.
"La-lady luck ain't playing on my side
La-lady luck ain't smiling down
La-lady luck don't care about my pride
La-lady luck lay, lays it down"
Content copyright © 2015 by Trish Deneen. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Trish Deneen. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Trish Deneen for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.