Guest Author - Clare Stubbs
Keftedes are also known as Greek meatballs and even though they are quick and simple to make, they work well as a small side dish or main meal. You will find that this recipe is open to interpretation and the keftedes can be served in a number of different ways.
The amount of preparation needed is minimal and it doesn’t take long for the meatballs to cook either. Some people use a deep fry method but others prefer to bake in the oven as it is the healthier option.
500g lean mince / 17.64 ounces (approx) – you can use almost any meat but beef and lamb prove to be the best choice
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 cup of breadcrumbs
Olive oil – this is only used to lightly grease the baking tray before cooking
1. The first step is to put all of the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well with your hands
2. Next, you will want to mould the prepared mixture into balls. These should not be too large, ideally the size of a golf ball
3. Preheat your oven to 200°c / Gas mark 6
4. Prepare your baking tray ready for cooking by using greaseproof paper or alternatively, lightly coat the base with a small amount of olive oil
5. Place the meatballs onto the tray and into the oven when ready
6. Leave these to cook for approximately 25 – 30 minutes, turning occasionally until they have browned evenly
7. Give your meatballs a few minutes standing time then serve immediately and enjoy
Some of the ingredients mentioned can easily be replaced, such as the seasoning. Cumin and paprika prove to be popular alternatives when it comes to making these meatballs.
Keftedes ready to serve
If you are going to give this recipe a try then you will find that these can be presented in a variety of different ways. They can be served on their own, as a large main with pasta, by adding them to a salad or placed in fresh pita bread and topped with a tzatziki dressing.
A major benefit of serving these to friends and family is that they can be incorporated into almost any dish; the meatballs are universal and prove to be a popular snack or meal that are suitable at all times of the year.