These two tried and true cake recipes have been in my family for some time. They have managed to survive many transformations and still taste great. What you see here is my latest variation.
They are the most requested desserts in our house. What I like is how easy they are to make. I hope you enjoy making and tasting them too.
Spicy Banana Crumb
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Splenda
3/4 cup margarine
1/2 fat-free sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. Roll into crumbs: flour, sugar and margarine.
2. Take out one cupful of crumbs that will be used for topping on the cake.
3. Beat the bananas smooth then...
4. Mix remainder of ingredients with remainder of crumbs.
4. Scrap into a greased 8 x 8 pan and sprinkle the reserved cup of crumbs on top. You may have to rearrange a bit with your fingers.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 - 50 minutes depending on the heat your oven produces.
6. Let cool on rack for 20 minutes before serving. Great warm or cold. I store in fridge.
Variation: add 1/3 cup chopped walnuts.
Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup margarine
4 tbsp cocoa
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar twin
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1. Mix rolled oats into hot water until soaked. Let sit while preparing other ingredients.
2. Mix in margarine and cocoa.
3. Add sugar and remaining ingredients (eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder, soda).
4. Bake in 8 x 8 inch greased pan at 350 degrees F for approximately 35 minutes.
Great Cooking Ideas from Amazon.com
M. E. Wood lives in Eastern Ontario, Canada. If you are going to find this eclectic reader and writer anywhere it is probably at her computer. For more information visit her official website.