Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Italian and Sicilian Books
I thought this was a good list of books for Italian and Sicilian History:
Recently published history of Sicily: SICILY: THREE THOUSAND YEARS OF HUMAN HISTORY, by Sandra Benjamin
1) A History of Sicily, M.I. Finley, Denis Mack Smith and Christopher Duggan, Elisabeth Sifton Books, Viking, 1987
2) The Oxford History of Italy, George Holmes, Oxford University Press,1997.
3) A Concise History of Italy, Christopher Duggan, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
4) A History of Sicily, Modern Sicily: After 1713, Denis Mack Smith, Viking Press, 1968.
5) Italy: A Short History, Harry Hearder, Cambridge University Press, 1990.
6) The Oxford Illustrated History of Italy, George Holmes, Oxford University Press, 1997.
Sicilian Life Style:
1) Customs and Habits of the Sicilian Peasants, edited and translated by
Rosalie N. Norris: written by Salvatore Salomone-Marion, 1897.
2) Little Novels of Sicily: Stories, Giovanni Verga, translated by D.H.Lawrence, Steerforth Press, 1955.
3) Midnight in Sicily, Peter Robb, Vintage, 1999.
4) Introduction to Sicilian Grammar, J.K. “Kirk” Bonner, Legas, 2001.
5) From Sicily to Elizabeth Street, Housing and Social Change amoung Italian Immigrants, 1880-1930, Donna R. Gabaccia, State University of New York Press, 1984.
6) In the Garden of Papa Santuzzu, Tony Ardizzone, Picador USA, 1990.
7) The Moral Basis of a Backward Society, Edward C. Banfield, The Free Press, 1958.
8) The Mafia of a Sicilian Village 1860-1960, Blok, Anton
9) The Sicilian, Mario Puzo, Ballantine Books, 1984.
10) Palermo Story, Gabrielle Marks, xxxxxxxxxxxxx
11) A House in Sicily, Daphne Phelps, Carroll & Graf Publishers, 1999.
12) Traditional Houses of Rural Italy, Paul Duncan,
13) Milocca, A Sicilian Village, Charlotte Gower Chapman, Schenkman Publishing Co., 1971.
14) Sicily, An Illustrated History, Joseph Privitera, Hippocrene Books,2002.
15) The Stone Boudoir, Theresa Maggio, Perseus Publishing, 2002.
Buffalo, New York:
1) Blood of My Blood, Richard Gambino, Doubleday, 1974.
2) The Age of Martyrs, Giuseppe Ricciotti, Translated by Anthony Bull,
Bruce Publishing, 1959.
3) The National Integration of Italian Return Migration, 1870-1929,
Dino Cinel, Cambridge University Press, 1991.
4) City of Light, Lauren Belfer, Batam Dell Publishing Group, Random House, 2000.
5) Family and Community: Italian Immigrants in Buffalo, 1880-1930, Virginia
Yans- McLaughlin, Cornell Univ. Press, 1977.
6) History of Cattaraugus Co., New York, L. H. Everts, Philadelphia, 1879.
7) An Outline History of the Erie Railway, "Railroad History number 131," August 1974.
8) The Erie System, George Minor, Erie Railroad Company, New York, NY, 1911.
9) High Hopes: The Rise and Decline of Buffalo, New York, Mark Goldman,
State U. of New York Press, Albany, 1983.
10) Family and Community: Italian Immigrants in Buffalo 1880-1930,
Virginia Yans- McLaughlin.
11) Houses of Worship: A Guide to the Religious Architecture of Buffalo,
New York, James Napora, and Buffalo Central Library.
12) The Coming of the Italians to Chautauqua County, Samuel C. Allessi,
Dunkirk Observer, July 25, 1960.
13) Ellis Island Interviews, In Their Own Words, Peter Morton Coan,
Facts On File, Inc., 1997. [http://www.factsonfile.com]
14) Island of Hope, Island of Tears, Brownstone, Frank & Brownstone,
Rawson, Wade Publishing, 1979.
15) Family and Community, Italian Immigrants in Buffalo 1880 – 1930,
Employment for Italian Immigrants in Buffalo, Virginia Yans-McLaughlin.
16) High Hopes: The Rise and Decline of Buffalo, New York, Mark
Goldman, State U. of New York Press, Albany, 1983.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Tina Sansone. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Tina Sansone. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Tina Sansone for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.