Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
I think it is perfect for family dessert, especially for Palm Sunday or Easter. The recipe may seem like a lot of trouble, but it's easier and faster than it seems, all it takes is a little chopping and a lot of love. This is a tall and pretty cake, it is the perfect way to welcome warm weather.
And, look carefully, you won't find one hummingbird in the ingredients.
Bake and enjoy!
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 teaspoon Watkins Vanilla Extract*
1 teaspoon Watkins Butter Extract
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, undrained
1-1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups chopped bananas
INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon Watkins Vanilla Extract*
DIRECTION FOR BAKING CAKE
1. Combine flour and next four ingredients in large bowl; mix well. Stir in eggs, oil and extracts; stir until dry ingredients are moistenedódo not beat.
2. Fold in crushed pineapple, pecans, and bananas. Spoon batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 20 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely.
4. Spread frosting between layers, on top, and sides of cake.
5. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING FROSTING
1. Combine cream cheese and butter, beating until smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar and remaining vanilla extract and beat until the frosting light, fluffy and easy to spread.
This cake can be cut and eaten right away, but it is best to refrigerate an wait at least 24 hours before serving; the flavors will blend and intensify upon standing.
Makes about 12 servings.
Hints and Tips
*Use Watkins or any real vanilla extract
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2013 by Vannie Ryanes. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Vannie Ryanes. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Vannie Ryanes for details.
Website copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.