Guest Author - Carol M. Olmstead
In Feng Shui, the bedroom should be reserved for rest and romance only, but sometimes we arrange the master bedroom in a way that doesn’t contribute to growing your relationship or encouraging restful sleep. Take the Feng Shui Bedroom Quiz to see if your bedroom helps you relax and supports your relationship. Give yourself a one point if any of the following 10 conditions apply, then go to the bottom of the article to see how you scored.
1. My bed is located so I can see the entrance door to the room, rather than with my feet pointing directly out the bedroom door.
Feng Shui Explanation -- When your bed is directly across from the door, you feel vulnerable because you are easily seen by anyone entering the room. If you can’t move your bed, add a footboard or place a trunk or bench at the foot of the bed for protection.
2. My bed is placed so I can walk around it, rather than being positioned in a corner against two walls.
Feng Shui Explanation -- When a bed for two people is positioned against two walls, one of the partners symbolically feels “trapped” in the relationship because he/she has to climb over the other person to get out of bed. Always allow ample room to walk around your bed, even if you must switch to a smaller bed.
3. The head of my bed against a solid wall, rather than in front of a window or diagonally across a corner.
Feng Shui Explanation -- Without a solid wall behind your head, it’s difficult to relax because you don’t feel grounded. If your bed must be in front of a window, add window coverings and close them at bedtime. If your bed is in a corner, fill the empty space behind your head with a floor screen.
4. The artwork in my bedroom shows images that are romantic, paired, and coupled.
Feng Shui Explanation -- A master bedroom is not the place for artwork that is single, solitary, or sad. Hang art that makes you feel connected to your partner, and keep your children’s artwork out of the room.
5. I have no more than one mirror in my bedroom, and I can’t see myself in it from bed.
Feng Shui Explanation -- A mirror in a bedroom can make you restless, especially if you can see yourself in it when you are in bed or when you first get up. Replace all mirrors with art or beautiful wall hangings.
6. The only photos in my bedroom are of me and my spouse/partner, rather than of my children, parents, pets, or friends.
Feng Shui Explanation -- When you are surrounded with photos of your family, they are thought to be “watching you” and you can’t relax. Take these photos out of your bedroom and your love life will improve.
7. I do not have a work area or work-related items in my bedroom.
Feng Shui Explanation -- Reminders of your work responsibilities can keep you awake and detract from your love life. If you must work in your bedroom, be sure your office area is as far from the bed as possible, and keep your work related reading and laptop off the night tables.
8. I sleep on fresh linens and a bed acquired for this relationship, rather than on linens and a bed from a past relationship.
Feng Shui Explanation -- When you sleep on linens or a bed from a past relationship, you are sleeping with all of the negative energy from that relationship. It’s best to remove all reminders of previous relationships from your bedroom.
9. I do not sleep under an exposed beam or a low, sloping ceiling.
Feng Shui Explanation -- Beams and low ceilings can represent pressure weighing down on your relationship and your health. To symbolically raise these, aim lights at them, paint beams the same color as the ceiling, sleep under a canopy bed, or place tall plants in the corners of the room.
10. There is nothing stored under my bed.
Feng Shui Explanation -- You will sleep better if the chi circulates all around your bed without being blocked. If you must store things under your bed, choose only light things like linens and out of season clothes, rather than hard things like workout equipment.
How did you score?
If you scored 10 -- Congratulations, your bedroom supports you.
If you scored 6-9 -- Consider it a warning signal of negative conditions and make some Feng Shui changes as soon as possible.
If you scored 1-5 -- You are surrounded by negative conditions that can affect your relationships and health. Take immediate Feng Shui steps to cure negative energy.
Do you have a bedroom or other room that needs a Feng Shui Room Rescue? Click here for help.
Join me on Facebook where I post tips, advice, links, and answers to your Feng Shui questions. Click here to "like" the "Feng Shui For Real Life Fan Page."