Michael Grant Hait, CG has released African American Genealogy Research in a laminated form. It is part of the Genealogy at a glance series. Anyone who has any dealings with African American research will find this as a “must have” for their library.
Some of the features this covers are
- Quick Facts
- The Great Migration
- Basic Research Resources – Oral History, Federal Census Records, State & County Records
- Reconstruction-era Record Sources – The Bureau of Refugees, Freedman & Abandoned Lands, Freedman’s Savings & Trust Company, Southern Claims Commission Records, Voter Registration Lists in the South
- Civil War Record Sources – Compiled Military Service Records, Civil War Pension Files
- Free African American Americans in the North & South – The Abolition of Slavery in the North, Records Related to Free African Americans in the Antebellum Period
- Researching Enslaved Ancestors – Federal Census Slave Schedules, Common Record Groups Relating to Slaves
- Online Resources
- Further Reading
Michael gives direction to resources you can search out in documenting your African American ancestors. Some of the resources he gives can apply to all ethnic groups as well. On the Genealogical.com website, the following description is written:
Nothing will get you going faster in African American genealogical research than this "Genealogy at a Glance" publication. In just four pages, Michael Hait, author of the popular CD The Family History Research Toolkit, lays out the basic elements of African American research, boiling the subject down to its essence and allowing you to grasp the fundamentals of African American research at a glance.
Michael is also a writer for The African-American Genealogy Examiner. His experience in his professional research, both for himself and others, along with his writing has given him the expertise to write this great guide, African American Genealogy Research. He is also the author of the blog, Planting the Seeds - Genealogy As A Profession.
I personally own a copy of African American Genealogy Research that I paid for myself. I use it every time I have a research project that has African American ancestry and I highly recommend it. Order HERE for ONLY $7.95, plus shipping.