Guest Author - Carol M. Olmstead
When you think about making Feng Shui adjustments in your home, the laundry room is probably the last place you think about; however, because water is associated with wealth in Feng Shui and the laundry room is filled with both clean and dirty water, it’s important to treat your laundry room with the same care you give to any other room in your home. Take a good look at what you really need to store in your laundry area, then try these 10 Feng Shui tips to balance the room and help attract wealth.
1. Clear clutter and add adequate storage options so you can keep things neat, clean, and out of sight.
2. Keep the washing machine lid closed to prevent your wealth from flowing away with the dirty water that goes down the drain.
3. Check the hoses and the washer for leaks, because a slow leak of water represents a continual “dripping away” of your wealth.
4. Keep the door leading into your laundry room closed so the positive chi doesn’t flow into the room and down the drain.
5. Remove the dryer lint after every load, not only to prevent fires from the highly combustible lint, but also because it represents holding on to negative energy and clutter.
6. Keep the dryer door closed so you don’t invite the positive energy to get trapped inside.
7. If you keep a trash can in your laundry area be sure to empty it as often as you do the other trash cans in your home to prevent buildup of negative chi.
8. If your laundry has a sink, be sure to clean it regularly because a dirty sink represents disregard for your wealth.
9. If you hang a mirror in your laundry area be sure that it reflects something positive; mirrors double what they reflect and you don't want to reflect -- and symbolically double -- the pile of dirty clothes.
10. Avoid using your laundry room as a “dumping ground” for items you can’t find a home for in other rooms; instead, store only those items related to doing the laundry.
Try to create a laundry room that is inviting and pleasing to the eye. Make sure you have adequate lighting, especially if you don’t have windows in your laundry room. Decorate the laundry area as you would arrange any other room, including cheerful artwork and decorations that make you feel abundant and prosperous.
If your laundry area is looking shabby, repaint the walls, clean the floor regularly, dust the cabinets, and keep the shelves neat to help you attract wealth and abundance. There are several paint color choices for your laundry: select light shades of green to enhance the Wood Element, light gold or light shades of brown to enhance the Earth Element, or light shades of blue to represent the Water Element.
If you are building a new home or remodeling your current home, avoid locating the laundry room in the Wealth Area of your home, which is the area in the upper left hand corner of your home, as you stand at your front door and looking into your home. The Wealth Area is activated by the Fire Element, so locating a room that has an overabundance of water is not a good idea. All of this water will symbolically “extinguish” your Fire and limit your ability to attract wealth. If your laundry room is already located in a Fire Area of your home, you can symbolically “dry up” the excess Water Element by adding more of the Fire Element in the form of art in the colors red, orange, or deep purple; with Fire images, such as a brilliant sunset; or decorations in a triangular shape.
Want more free Feng Shui tips? Click here to sign up for my free monthly e-newsletter, the Feng Shui For Real Life E-zine.
Join me on Facebook where I post tips, advice, links, and answers to your Feng Shui questions. Click here to "like" the "Feng Shui For Real Life Fan Page."