Guest Author - Dina Tarek
Trends, trends, and more trends; it seems as though they are everywhere we look. It's so much fun to keep up with the latest, but versatility should be the foundation of every wardrobe. Basic pieces that never go out of style are essential for an ever-stylish you.
Step 1: How can I tell?
Wardrobe staples should not make any bold fashion statements. Between a dark wash boot cut pair of jeans and colorful paint splattered wide leg jeans with lace-insets, the former would clearly win.
Take a good look at it. Not too bright or patterned? Does it go with at least 3 pieces in your closet? If the answer is yes, then you can move on to the next step.
Step 2: What about the colors?
When going back to basics, always stick with neutrals. Black, white, brown, and gray are standard enough to complete any outfit. Turquoise, fuchsia, and neon yellow will give you a harder time when you're standing in front of the closet in the morning wondering what you should wear.
Is the color too unique? If you're thinking: "This will go for the evening, but there is no way I'll go out in the sun in that color," replace it with a more neutral piece.
Step 3: Does it fit?
You should always buy clothes that you are going to wear now. Not three sizes later, not after the baby, and not when you finish that series of Jillian Michaels workouts. If they are any source of motivation, keep a picture of the items you would like to buy later. For now, stick to what fits so perfectly, you were wondering if Zac Posen designed it just for you.
A flabby arm here and a love handle there; if it's not suitable for your body shape, let it go. Ah, now that fits.
Classics for Life
- Tailored suit: Mix and match pieces separately or wear as a whole
- Feminine blouse: Soft fabric and color
- White shirt/top: Dress it up or down
- Black Trousers: Straight, pocket lies flat on your body
- Knee-length black skirt: A-line or pencil
- Cardigan: Pick cashmere or cotton. Wear belted, with a scarf, or layer
- Trench Coat: Between mid-thigh and knee, belted, stylish but sturdy
- Dark denim jeans: Slight boot cut
- Casual Dress: With a blazer for work, boots & leggings during winter
- Little black dress
- Pearls, sexy and feminine
- Scarves, a million looks
- Simple pair of sunglasses
- Black pumps
- Tall black boots
- Key handbag: 24-hour, all-purpose leather handbag