Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Magnetic Bookmark Project
Magnetic bookmarks make wonderful gifts, party favors, and fund-raising items for school or church. They’re quite easy to make so you can whip up a batch of them in no time. The best part is magnetic bookmarks will never fall out of your book!
The materials and steps below are for the bookmark in the photo, but once you know the steps you can design your own magnetic bookmarks.
You will need:
* Black cardstock, 3 inches by 1-1/2 inches
* Decorative paper, 2-7/8 inches by 1-3/8 inches
* Two pieces of magnetic sheet, each piece 1-3/8 inches by 1-3/8 inches
* Silk flower, about 1 inch across
* Gold sequin
* Scissors or paper trimmer
* Bone folder (optional)
* Craft glue
1. Measure and cut the black cardstock and decorative paper to the specified sizes.
2. Glue the decorative paper to the black cardstock, leaving a narrow border around the decorative paper.
3. Score and fold the cardstock in half, crosswise.
4. Measure and cut two pieces of magnetic sheet to the specified size. Glue the magnets on the inside of the folded cardstock, one for each half, making sure that the magnets are aligned so that they stick together when the cardstock is folded.
5. Glue the silk flower to the front of the cardstock. Adhere a gold sequin to the center of the flower and let dry. Your magnetic bookmark is ready to use!
Here are some tips when designing your own magnetic bookmarks:
Size: You can make your bookmark any size you wish. Just remember that the long side of the cardstock will be folded down the middle, so that if you want the finished bookmark to be 1 inch by 3 inches, you'll have to cut a piece of cardstock that measures 1 inch by 6 inches.
Cardstock and patterned paper: You can use patterned scrapbook paper that has a design on both sides of the sheet; in this case you can skip step 2 above. Printed boxes used for cakes and cookies are sturdy and make good bookmarks too.
Magnetic sheet: Magnet photo sheets and adhesive magnet tape are available at office supplies stores, but you can also recycle promotional magnets used for advertising.
Embellishments: Decorate your bookmark any way you wish, as long as the embellishments you use are flat and not bulky. Here are some ideas:
* Punched paper shapes
* Rubber stamps and ink
* Doodles with gel pens or markers
* Paper doilies
* Ephemera, postage stamps, cutouts from magazines, etc.
Have fun, and happy reading!
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Mia C. Goloy. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Mia C. Goloy. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Mia C. Goloy for details.
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.