Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Guest Author - Amy PackhamOn September 3, 1895, Quarterback John Brallier was paid $10 for winning the first professional football game ever played...
- "Sports do not build character. They reveal it."
-- Casey Stengel
- "Rowing is a sport for dreamers. As long as you put in the work, you can own the dream. When the work stops, the dream dissapears."
-- Haywood Broun
- "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games. "
-- Jim Dietz
- "One player practicing sportsmanship is far better than fifty preaching it."
-- Ernest Hemingway
- "Baseball is dull only to dull minds."
-- Knute Rockne
- "In baseball, you dont know nothing."
-- Red Barber
- "Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical."
-- Yogi Berra
- "It [baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."
-- Yogi Berra
- "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball."
-- A. Bartlett Giamatti
- "Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. If you get three strikes, even the best lawyer in the world cant get you off."
-- Pete Rose
- "I see great things in baseball. Its our game - the American game. It will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set. Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us."
-- Bill Veeck
- "Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer."
-- Walt Whitman
- "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal."
-- George F. Will
- "If a man watches three football games in a row he should be declared legally dead."
-- Ted Williams
- "If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. Thats all it takes to get people to win football games for you."
-- Erma Bombeck
- "Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck."
-- Bear Bryant
- "Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I dont like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that."
-- Don Schula
- "You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose."
-- Bill Shankly
- "The only athletic sport I ever mastered was backgammon."
-- Lou Holtz
- "People stress the violence. That's the smallest part of it. Football is brutal only from a distance. In the middle of it there's a calm, a tranquility. The players accept pain. There's a sense of order even at the end of a running play with bodies stewn everywhere. When the systems interlock, there's a satisfaction to the game that can't be duplicated. There's a harmony."
-- Don DeLillo
- "Pro Football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors."
-- Frank Gifford
- "Conventional wisdom notwithstanding, there is no reason either in football or in poetry why the two should not meet in a man's life if he has the weight and cares about the words. "
-- Archibald MacLeish
- "Going to college offered me the chance to play football for four more years. "
-- Ronald Reagan
- "Football brings out the sociologist that lurks in some otherwise respectable citizens. They say football is a metaphor for America's sinfulness. "
-- George F. Will
- "I always turn to the sports section first. The sports page records people's accomplishments; the front page has nothing but man's failures."
-- Earl Warren
- "If only Hitler and Mussolini could have a good game of bowls once a week at Geneva, I feel that Europe would not be as troubled as it is."
-- R.G. Briscow
Content copyright © 2015 by Amy Packham. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Amy Packham. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact