Alzheimer’s and Early Detection
- Motivate you to embark on a comprehensive healthier lifestyle to delay onset including exercise, a balanced meal plan and stress management
- Improve life quality for a while with drugs designated for the early stages
- Add life to your years by living more intensely and doing what you enjoy now instead of postponing for the futre
- Enable others to help you by recognizing when erratic behavior, personality changes, or confusion set in
- Making plans which involve assisted living, caregiving and of course, finances
Risks already known for Alzheimer’s include the same risks expressed in metabolic syndrome: High Blood pressure, high sugar, high LDL cholesterol levels and bigger waistlines. A new marker for the disease is being studied and that is higher levels of a certain fat in the blood called ceramides may increase a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, according to a study in the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
There is no cure on the horizon – yet. There are many clinical trials being conducted for new drugs, but so far nothing which presents a cure or arrests the disease for a long period of time. However, I suggest that you tap into the latest research on healthy living. Get up and move! Sitting shortens your life. Watching TV for hours shortens your life, especially if you are eating unconsciously while you watch. Junk Food clogs your arteries, the same arteries which deliver oxygen and nutrients to the brain. Stress inflames all physical processes and stress hormones take the longest to clear out of the brain. Anyone who is stressed soon realizes that he or she has a harder time remembering things. The most efficient way to move damaging stress hormones out of the brain is to exercise or walk them off. While on the subject of movement, move on instead of dwelling on old hurts.
For more information on caregiving read my book, Changing Habits: The Caregivers' Total Workout. To listen to archived radio shows with guest experts visit Turn On Your Inner Light Radio Show