Genealogists that are researching in the Washington County, Tennessee area have a great new resource to use. The following book is now available:
Washington County, Tennessee – Deeds, 1797-1817, Volume 2 published by Southern Historical Press, Inc., 217 pages, indexed, paperbound, $32.50 plus shipping and handling was written by Loraine Bennett Rae. This is the second volume that she has written; the first one covered deeds for the years 1775-1800.
These deeds include slaves, property, land and other contracts. Some deeds give the slave’s name and age, the name of family members and their relationships and descriptive names of the boundaries of the land being deeded. Anyone with family in Washington County, Tennessee and the surrounding counties will find this book to be a valuable resource.
The book includes the following:
- Tips for Genealogists Using Land Records – I found these tips to be very informative.
- Notes on the Use of This Book
- From Compiler to User
- Deed Book E, H, & I – deeds registered 1797-1802
- Deed Book 8 – deeds registered 1803-1806
- Deed Book 9 – deeds registered 1801-1806
- Deed Book 10 – deeds registered 1807-1808
- Deed Book 11 – deeds registered 1806-1808
- Deed Book 12 – deeds registered 1808-1814
- Deed Book 13 – deeds registered 1811-1814
- Deed Book 14 – deeds registered 1814-1815
- Deed Book 15 – deeds registered 1815-1817
- Land Sales Proven in Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions
- Maps of Leesburg, Jonesborough, Brownsborough & Washington County
Ordering information: Southern Historical Press, Inc. & Georgia Genealogical Magazine, P. O. Box 1267, Greenville, SC 29602-1267, (864) 233-2348 – FAX (864) 233-2349.
Washington County, Tennessee: Deeds, 1797-1817Washington County Tennessee Tombstone Inscriptions Vol II
Disclaimer: A copy of this book was mailed to Tennessee Genealogical Society for a review and to have in their library collection.