Browse Dozens of Proverbs
- "A good listener needs few words."
- "A small fountain quenches your thirst as well as a big one."
- "A strong attack is half the battle won."
- "Before you get married, make sure you know what you are doing."
- "Doing nothing and doing useless work are both the same thing."
- "If you always tell the truth, you may lose your friends."
- "More people are threatened than beaten up."
- "Other people carry their faults up front--we carry ours behind our backs. Meaning: People commonly notice and criticize other people's faults, but it is less common for someone to point out his own faults."
- "The person who wants everything to be just right often gets closer to the opposite."
- "The sun shines the same on the good and the bad."
- "Things used to be that way, now they're this way, and who knows what they will be like later."
- "Don't make use of another's mouth unless it has been leant to you."
- "Don't make waves."
- "Experience is the comb that nature gives us when we are bald."
- "Experience is the father of wisdom."
- "Experience keeps a dear school."
- "Honor is better than honors."
- "The beautiful is less what one sees than what one dreams."
- "The bee, from her industry in the summer, eats honey all the winter."
- "The beggar may sing before the thief."
- "There is no use waiting for your ship to come in if you haven't sent one out."
- "Day by day passes until the last stands behind the door. "
- "If you take big paces you leave big spaces. "
- "Only with a new ruler do you realize the value of the old. "
- "Sparrows who emulate peacocks are likely to break a thigh. "
- "The more violent the love, the more violent the anger. "
- "The top of a pinnacle now, firewood soon. "
- "The verse will halt if the tongue's too true. "