The Council for the Advancement of Forensic Genealogy announces the 2014 Forensic Genealogy Institute is now open for registration.
“The Forensic Genealogy Institute (FGI) is the educational arm of the Council for the Advancement of Forensic Genealogy. Foundations in Forensic Genealogy offers a detailed overview of the profession. The Advanced Forensic Evidence Analysis track presents opportunities to develop advanced skills. Each track offers in excess of twenty hours of significant hands-on instruction with real-world work examples, resources, sample forms and work materials. Completion of Foundations in Forensic Genealogy is a prerequisite to attending Advanced Forensic Evidence Analysis. Those who satisfactorily complete either course receive a Forensic Genealogy Institute Certificate of Completion.”
Understanding DNA is quickly becoming a necessary tool in solving forensic genealogical problems. Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, will present "Forensic Techniques for Genetic Genealogy" in the upcoming Forensic Genealogy Institute's "Foundations in Forensic Genealogy" course. This program will explain the concepts of DNA and how it can be utilized by the forensic genealogist. This is just one of many great topics that will be covered.
In the “Foundations in Forensic Genealogy” some topics are:
- Forensic Research Skills
- Legal and Ethical Considerations
- The Role of the Forensic Genealogist in
- Business Aspects
- Targeting the Oil & Gas Market: A How-to Guide for Forensic Genealogists
- Advanced DNA
- Military Repatriation
- Document examination
- Dual citizenship and certified translations
- Sources and methods to find the living
The “Foundations in Forensic Genealogy” is from March 24-26 and the “Advanced Forensic Evidence Analysis” is from March 27-29, 2014. It is held in Dallas, Texas at the Wyndham Love Field Hotel. I attended the Foundations course the first year it was hosted and had a great learning experience. The hotel was beautiful and the food was wonderful. I had a great time networking and making friends. I am planning on taking the advance track this year and look forward to meeting new friends and seeing those I met last time.
With over fifty years of combined forensic genealogical experience, instructors for the Forensic Genealogy Institute are practicing professional genealogists with real life experience in the field. Some of the instructors for the Institute are:
- Michael Ramage, J.D., CG
- Leslie Lawson, Forensic Genealogist
- Catherine W. Desmarais, M.Ed., CG, Teaching Assistant
- Wanda Smith, JD
- Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL
- Kelvin L. Meyers, Forengic Genealogist
- Dee Dee King, CG, Forensic Genealogist
- Charlotte Ware, Board Certified Forensic Document Examiner – North Carolina, Applied Forensics
- Special Guest Speakers to be announced
Check out these books!
- Forensic Genealogy
- Professional Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers, and Librarians