Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
10 Sandwich Ideas for Meatless Monday
Meatless Monday is a movement that believes that people improve their lives by limiting the meat that they eat. It is believed that as you reduce meat consumption, you decrease your risk of several diseases and conditions. These include diabetes, obesity, and cancer. The chances of cardiovascular disease are also lowered. As if these reasons aren't enough to participate in Meatless Monday, you can help the environment.
The term "carbon footprint" has been thrown about lately. Just what is a carbon footprint? It is the amount of greenhouse gas that an event generates during a period of time. Producing meat is hideously expensive in the area of generating greenhouse gases. It also uses a lot of water and fossil fuels. Back in 1971, Frances Lappe called for environmental vegetarianism in her book Diet for a Small Planet. The Meatless Monday movement continues this message.
There is another excellent reason to practice Meatless Mondays. Veggie sandwiches are tasty alternatives to meat-based sandwiches. They allow for creativity in their creation. As you combine ingredients to build layers of flavor, while enhancing your nutrition, you can enjoy the chance to use your resourcefulness.
Here are some ideas from the BellaOnline Sandwiches Forum. They first appeared in the Sandwich Name Game. Some of these ideas could be part of a vegan diet, while others contain eggs and cheese. Of course, if it has cheese, you can just substitute a vegan alternative or leave it out entirely! Vegetarian prepared food products that I enjoy have been mentioned in some of these sandwich ideas.
10 Sandwich Ideas for Meatless Monday
* Eggplant, peppers, squash, black mushrooms and onions cooked together in garlic and ginger with teriyaki sauce and wrapped in a warm moo shu pancake.
* Garbanzo batter coating on sliced summer squash, fried and served on a hot dog bun with marinara.
* Glazed pecans, chopped pears, mayo, tarragon, and prepared Quorn Chik'n Cutlets mixed together and served on a croissant.
* Sweet peppers, onions, olives, vegetarian meatballs, and sauce toasted in an Italian bun.
*Grated cheddar and pepperjack cheeses on a tostado shell with refried beans, lettuce, and salsa.
* Naan with chunks of marinated and grilled tempeh with caramelized onions and mango mayo.
* Sauteed onions, peppers, basil, artichoke hearts, olives, roasted tomatoes in olive oil and Morningstar Farms breakfast patty in a flour tortilla wrap.
* Eggs scrambled with Morningstar Farms breakfast patty, sautéed onions, peppers, and hash browns, then wrapped in a flour tortilla with melted cheese, lettuce, tomato and salsa.
* Watercress, thin sliced tomato, and tofu salad layered on a croissant.
* Guacamole on sourdough with lettuce, tomato, and sliced Quorn Chik'n Cutlets.
Whether you have a vegetarian lifestyle or are a dedicated carnivore, these sandwich ideas are loaded with flavor and filled with good nutrition. The Sandwich Name Game on the BellaOnline Sandwiches Forum has hundreds of ideas for sandwiches. Stop by sometime! Then, post in the forum, so that we can learn about your creative ideas.
Related links: The Related Links below this article may be of interest to you.
When I mention stores or products by brand name, these are the ones that I use. I have not received free products from the manufacturers, nor have I been paid to mention the products or stores by name.
NEWSLETTER: I invite you to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. This gives you all of the updates for the Sandwiches site. Sometimes, this newsletter has information and variations on sandwiches that are not in the articles. Fill in the blank below the article with your email address - which is never passed on beyond this site. We never sell or trade your personal information.
Content copyright © 2015 by Connie Mistler Davidson. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Connie Mistler Davidson. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Connie Mistler Davidson for details.
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.