Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Pita Sandwich Ideas
I ate my first pita sandwich while hiking on a trail above Boulder, Colorado one glorious summer day. The electric blue sky and sun beaming down on my face added to the delight in that first yeasty pita bite. In that far-away day, pita bread was difficult to find in a neighborhood grocery. Now, it’s everywhere.
If you have a local bakery that makes pita, go there for the freshness. Pitas come in both white and wheat flour. Personally, I know that the white flour pitas are less healthy for me, but I love the taste. Pocket pitas are a favorite. However, the non-pocketed pitas also make lovely sandwiches.
Here are some delightful ideas for pita sandwiches.
• Veggies roasted with olive oil and sea salt, (use your favorites) and stuffed in a pita with shredded cheese and marinara sauce.
• Eggplant sautéed with onions, garlic, tomatoes, and peppers, doused with ranch and stuffed into a pita.
• Yogurt dipped chicken, baked with a sprinkle of apple juice and paprika, then served in a pocket pita with ranch dressing and spinach leaves.
• Oysters, fried and layered into a pita with spicy tartar sauce and shredded lettuce.
• Pork, marinated, smoked, and slathered in barbecue sauce, then piled into a fresh pita with a scoop of coleslaw.
• Apples, grapes, celery, toasted pecans, and shredded chicken with mayo, stuffed into a pocket pita with butter lettuce.
• Salmon cooked with onion and dill, and stuffed into a pita with butter lettuce leaves, and tartar sauce
• Tri-tip beef, thinly sliced and served in a pita with crispy bacon, caramelized onions, and blue cheese dressing.
• Squash, onions, potatoes sautéed and combined with a scrambled egg and salsa in a fresh flour pita bread for a breakfast sandwich
• Sweet potato fries, ham salad, and butter lettuce in a pita.
• Pita pocket stuffed with cucumber sauce and dolmas.
• Pink boiled shrimp, piled into a pita pocket with spicy Old Bay mayo and butter lettuce.
• Dark meat chicken chunks mixed with chopped celery and onion, sliced grapes, finely chopped parsley and dill, and mayo, then layered into a pita with sliced tomato and bib lettuce.
• Mushrooms, breaded and fried and piled on a grilled flat pita with provolone and marinara sauce.
• Green, red, yellow, and orange peppers sautéed with onions, garlic, mushrooms, and chicken, then stuffed into a pita with cucumber sauce.
Maybe it is the thought of the warm summer sun, but I have been thinking about pita sandwiches lately. Do you have some ideas for pitas? Feel free to share pita ideas with us on the BellaOnline Sandwiches Forum. Your ideas are welcomed and valued. Now, your turn…
Related links: The Related Links below this article may be of interest to you.
When I mention stores or products by brand name, these are the ones that I use. I have not received free products from the manufacturers, nor have I been paid to mention the products or stores by name.
NEWSLETTER: I invite you to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter. This gives you all of the updates for the Sandwiches site. Sometimes, this newsletter has information and variations on sandwiches that are not in the articles. Fill in the blank below the article with your email address - which is never passed on beyond this site. We never sell or trade your personal information.
Content copyright © 2015 by Connie Mistler Davidson. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Connie Mistler Davidson. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Connie Mistler Davidson for details.
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.