Sheri McNeil Savory just released details of her upcoming Civil War Tour hosted by Ken Burns and Tauck World Discovery departing on October 18 and returns October 28, 2014! Details on the pricing and registration can be found on Sheri’s website, Stars Publishing, LLC.
Born in Detroit, Michigan, Sheri McNeil Savory, a Professional Genealogist and Author, has been a genealogist for over twenty-five years. She has published articles in the Gest- Guest Quarterly, Ansearchin’ News, a 60 year old magazine created by the Tennessee Genealogical Society and many others. She works closely with Familytree DNA projects, and she is a public speaker on DNA and genealogy. Sheri has just released her first book collection entitled, A Face to My Name, Vol. I-III. Sheri has completed her life’s work, and is excited to share a genealogical point of view on the brave people affected by the Civil War.
Touching many lives, her research has uncovered and connected families previously unknown to each other. This author shares a study and the science of Y-DNA, revealing ground breaking DNA evidence only recently discovered about some of those in the Civil War. Join Sheri as she helps to put a face to the names of Civil War Soldiers and other government officials.
Ken Burns, award-winning creator of the landmark documentary film The Civil War, brings personal stories and insightful interpretations to an amazing journey through the Civil War’s “most hallowed ground,” one of the most comprehensive Civil War tours. This 11-day trip, from our Crafted by Tauck and Ken Burns collection, chronicles some of the pivotal events and venues of the war. From Washington, DC to Richmond, VA, the trip is highlighted by guided visits and unique access to some of its most significant sites, including the battlefields of Gettysburg, Antietam and Petersburg; enjoy private presentations and talks by experts; a behind-the-scenes experience at the National Archives; an interactive experience where guests assume the identity of an actual Confederate or Union soldier, and more. Tauck Exclusives include Stories by Ken Burns – filmed vignettes offering Ken's unique perspectives on the terrible conflict and its pivotal role in shaping the nation we live in today, enlivening your travels in Washington, Gettysburg, Sharpsburg (Antietam), Harpers Ferry, Charlottesville, Appomattox, Petersburg and Richmond.
Taulk value includes:
- Exclusive early admission to view Founding Documents & private, behind-the-scenes experience with an insider at the National Archives
- Presentation on events leading up to the Civil War by a noted historian in Washington, DC
- Filmed vignettes by Ken Burns featuring compelling stories, fresh insights and personal perspectives on America’s greatest conflict, accompanied by clips and images from The Civil War
- Private lecture on slavery and plantation life by Dr. Leni Sorensen, African American Research Historian for the Thomas Jefferson Foundation at Monticello
- Private meeting with a Richmond Civil War historian at the American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar
- Guided visits to some of the war’s “most hallowed ground,” including Antietam, Gettysburg & Petersburg national battlefields
- Interactive experience where guests “become” a Civil War combatant at the National Museum of the Civil War Soldier
- Private lecture at the African American Civil War Museum and Monument, plus time to explore the exhibits and visit the African American Civil War Memorial
- Visits to Monticello, Montpelier, Harpers Ferry, Ford’s Theatre, and Appomattox
- Airport transfers upon arrival and departure to local guides, admission fees, taxes and porterage