Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
P&S Fishing Tackle, Inc.
- "I'm a real pussy cat -- with an iron tail."
-- Rona Barrett
- "You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'"
-- Dave Barry
- "Mercy to animals means mercy to mankind."
-- Henry Bergh
- "The circus a place where horses, ponies and elephants are permitted to see men, women and children acting the fool."--
- "Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you later."--
- "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."
-- Martin Buber
- "All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it."--
- "Animals generally return the love you lavish on them by a swift bite in passing - not unlike friends and wives."--
- "Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."
-- Albert Einstein
- "You enter into a certain amount of madness when you marry a person with pets." --
- "When dogs leap onto your bed, it's because they adore being with you. When cats leap onto your bed, it's because they adore your bed."--
- "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
-- Anatole France
- "The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch."--
- "Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself."
- "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."--
- "Man is the only animal whose desires increase as they are fed; the only animal that is never satisfied."--
- "Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to be."--
- "It was Sunday morning (one a.m.), a not unusual time for some farmers, after a late Saturday night, to have a look round their stock and decide to send for the vet."
-- James Herriot
- "Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem."
-- Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh
- "Many birds and beasts are ... as fit to go to Heaven as many human beings-people who talk of their seats there with as much confidence as if they had booked them at a box-office."
-- Leigh Hunt
- "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."--
- "If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."
-- Fran Lebowitz
- "We were all on this ship in the sixties, our generation, a ship going to discover the New World. And the Beatles were in the crow's nest of that ship."
-- John Lennon
- "If people were superior to animals, they'd take better care of the world."--
A A Milne
- "The indifference, callousness and contempt that so many people exhibit toward animals is evil first because it results in great suffering in animals, and second because it results in an incalculably great impoverishment of the human spirit."
-- Ashley Montagu
- "Any glimpse into the life of an animal quickens our own and makes it so much the larger and better in every way."--
- "All animal are equal but some animals are more equal than others."--
- "No animal admires another animal."--
- "I know at last what distinguishes man from animals: financial worries."
-- Romain Roland
- "The little furry buggers are just deep, deep wells you throw all your emotions into."--
- "Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace."--
- "It is much easier to show compassion to animals. They are never wicked."
-- Haile Selassie
- "We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
-- Anna Sewell, Black Beauty, 1877
- "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That's the essence of inhumanity."
-- George Bernard Shaw
- "If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."--
St. Francis of Assisi
- "Animals in different countries have different expressions just as the people in different countries differ in expression."--
- "My music is best understood by children and animals."--
- "The man who has to muck out the monkeys is rarely if ever consulted when the architects roll up in their limousines to sketch out the new monkey-house."
-- David Taylor
- "Anyone who works with animals in whatever capacity must be at least a bit dotty," says a zoo director friend."
-- David Taylor
- "My favorite animal is the mule. He has more horse sense than a horse. He knows when to stop eating -- and he knows when to stop working."
-- Harry S. Truman
- "Man is only animal that blushes-or needs to."
-- Mark Twain
- "I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the "lower animals" (so called) and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me."
-- Mark Twain, Letters from the Earth, 1907
- "Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. Of the entire brood, he is the only one that possesses malice. He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."
-- Mark Twain
- "The zoo is a place for animals to study the behaviour of human beings."--
- "Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."--
- "I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."--
- "There is an Indian legend which says when a human dies there is a bridge they must cross to enter into heaven. At the head of that bridge waits every animal that human encountered during their lifetime. The animals, based upon what they know of this person, decide which humans may cross the bridge.... and which are turned away..."--
- "Animals have these advantages over man: They have no theologians to instruct them, their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts lawsuits over their wills."--
- "There are two things for which animals are to be envied: they know nothing of future evils, or of what people say about them."
- "The Animals of the planet are in desparate peril...Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen."
-- Alice Walker
- "I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contained, I stand and look at them long and long."
-- Walt Whitman
- "This is what you should do: love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men ... re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss what insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem."--
- "We're all of us guinea pigs in the laboratory of God. Humanity is just a work in progress."--
- "A beaver does not, as legend would have it, know which direction the tree will fall when he cuts it, but counts on alacrity to make up for lack of engineering expertise."
-- Ann Zwinger
- represents fishing tackle manufacturer Balzer GmbH in the USA. Balzer - Quality since 1949.
Content copyright © 2015 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact