- "Soon silence will have passed into legend. Man has turned his back on silence. Day after day he invents machines and devices that increase noise and distract humanity from the essence of life, contemplation, meditation... "
-- Jean Arp
- "We can do more work in the silence than we can by moving the lips and letting the mouth make a continuous noise. That interferes with our own thinking as well as with other people's. There is a stillness in a thinker's mind; there is a quietness in a thinker's presence, where even words are entirely unnecessary."
- "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing. "
-- Robert Benchley
- "Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute."
-- Josh Billings
- "Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves together."
- "Sound has spoiled the most ancient of the world's arts, the art of pantomime, and has canceled out the great beauty that is silence. "
-- Charlie Chaplin
- "Silence is the great teacher, and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it. There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence. "
-- Deepak Chopra
- "Speech and silence. We feel safer with a madman who talks than with one who cannot open his mouth."
-- E. M. Cioran
- "To a poet, silence is an acceptable response, even a flattering one. "
- "Silence is a true friend who never betrays."
- "I have noticed that nothing I never said ever did me any harm. "
-- Calvin Coolidge
- "If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it."
-- Calvin Coolidge
- "The more articulate somebody is, the more suspicious I am of them. I like to feel that the important things remain unsaid. "
-- Daniel Day-Lewis
- "The words the happy say Are paltry melody But those the silent feel Are beautiful-- "
-- Emily Dickinson
- "A properly kept silence is a beautiful thing; it is nothing less than the father of very wise thoughts."
- "Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent."
--Dionysius the Elder
- "Silence is the mother of truth."
- "Sometimes the silence can be like thunder. "
-- Bob Dylan
- "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself."
- "As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence."
- "In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in an clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
- "Nothing more enhances authority than silence. It is the crowning virtue of the strong, the refuge of the weak, the modesty of the proud, the pride of the humble, the prudence of the wise, and the sense of fools."
--Charles de Gaulle
- "I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind, yet, I'm ungrateful to those teachers. "
-- Kahlil Gibran
- "Silence is argument carried on by other means."
-- Che Guevara
- "We in the "developed" world seem to have many auditory strategies that insulate us from the presence of silence, simplicity, and solitude. When I return to Western culture after time in desert, mountain or forest, I discover how we have filled our world with a multiplicity of noises, a symphony of forgetfulness that keeps our won thoughts and realizations, feelings and intuitions out of audible range."
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Guest Author. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Guest Author. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nicole Cardillo for details.