Believe it or not, there is nothing "old lady" about a nice brooch. It can work for any woman whether she is 20 or 50, and it's definitely not an accessory reserved only for seniors. The use of brooches dates back to the Bronze Age, thousands of years ago. While the tradition is old, a nice brooch is a great accessory that is relevant to today's fashion trends. It's the ultimate accessory because it works so well with dresses, jackets, shawls and more. Brooches add a little something extra to everyday clothing so that you can wear work blazers, plain dresses, and sweaters to holiday or evening parties, which saves you from having to buy a new outfit for each event.
With so many great designs, colors and themes to choose from, you won't find a shortage of brooches in the market. And they don't have to cost a lot of money; you can find brooches at mid-priced department stores like Kohl's or JC Penney, and even at discount department stores like Wal-mart or Target, or even online at sites like Overstock or Amazon. There are also pricier designer brooches at higher end stores and boutiques that are great for gift giving or creating family heirlooms.
Brooches can work with lots of items in your closet, so every woman should have a handful of brooches to choose from. A clear crystal brooch is perfect for a black tie affair or an evening holiday party, so this is a great place to start if you don't own any brooches. For more pizzazz, add a large statement brooch to your collection. There are also fun brooches that are themed for holidays like Christmas trees, bells, ribbons, hearts and more. Spend less on themed brooches, since wear is limited to a specific time of year. Spend more on brooches that you can wear beyond holidays or seasons. Great classic designs should be pretty and theme-less so that it can work for many different occasions.
Here are some fashion forward ways to wear a brooch:
- Jazz up a plain black dress with a sparkling over-the-top brooch. Every woman has a little black dress, and brooches are perfect for it.
- Buy a piece of good quality ribbon and wear it as a belt by using a brooch as a fastener. Brooches also work well with elastic or tie belts.
- Wear it on the lapel of a blazer or coat. Note: Blazers are great for an evening affair, worn over a shiny or glittery top.
- Wear it as a pendant with a long sturdy chain or a string of faux pearls. Statement necklaces are all the rage!
- Drape a pretty pashmina scarf and use a brooch to hold it in place. You can use the same idea for shawls and capes.
- Attach it onto a clutch handbag to make it stand out.
- Fasten it onto the strap of your favorite wristlet.
- Fasten it onto an elastic band and wear it as a corsage. To make a statement, take a small brooch to your local florist to work into the design of a floral corsage.
With a little creativity and fashion flair, brooches can work for you no matter how old you are. Share the love by giving brooches as gifts to your friends and family. Thanks to its timelessness and versatility, a brooch is the perfect little accessory that can be worn year after year.