Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Halloween - Horror Quotations
Guest Author - Danielle HollisterThis site needs an editor - click to learn more!
- "Last night you were, unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. ..Do it again."
-- Morticia Adams
- "Horror is beyond the reach of psychology."
-- Theodor Adorno
- " The chief difference between Horror fans and science fiction fans lies in why they won't walk backwards. A Horror fan won't walk backwards because he knows he'll be knifed by a madman. A science fiction fan won't walk backwards because he knows he'll step on the cat."
-- Aaron Allston
- " Nothing on Earth (is) so beautiful as the final haul on Halloween night."
-- Steve Almond
- " In Horror movies today it's lots of fast cut shot and lots of loud noises on the soundtrack. I tried to do the opposite. Playing with silence for instance."
-- Alejandro Amenabar
- "I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween. "
- "True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about but few have seen."
- "I wish my mother had told me the same thing about Horror movies and guys when I was little- 'Don't worry, honey, it's all fake."
- " Last year was the first time I actually participated in Halloween. I dressed up as a pimp, and my sister was my bitch. We had to walk down Sunset Boulevard because we couldn't get a ride to the party, and everyone was sticking their heads out of their cars and yelling at us. It was great."
-- Christina Applegate
- "Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other."
-- Sir Francis Bacon, Essays , "Of Death"
- "To suffering there is a limit; to fearing, none."
-- Sir Francis Bacon, Essays , "Of Seditions and Troubles"
- " In all the Horror films that I have done, all of those women were strong women. I don't feel I ever played the victim, although I was always in jeopardy."
-- Adrienne Barbeau
- "Ghosts, like ladies, never speak till spoke to."
-- Richard Harris Barham
- " At best you can hold death at bay, you can pretend it isn't there; but to deny it totally is a sickness. And I think that Horror fiction is one of the ways to approach these problems, and, perversely perhaps, to enjoy a vicarious confrontation with them."
-- Clive Barker
- "There is nothing funny about Halloween. This sarcastic festival reflects, rather, an infernal demand for revenge by children on the adult world."
- "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have."
-- Louis E. Boone
- "A grandmother pretends she doesn't know who you are on Halloween."
-- Erma Bombeck
- "I think when the full Horror of being fifty hits you, you should stay home and have a good cry."
-- Alan Bleasdale
- "The beginning of love is a Horror of emptiness."
-- Robert Bly
- " I'm just one of those people that if I sit down to watch a Horror film, I put my hands over my face and I cry a lot and I don't see half of the film because I'm too upset."
-- Neve Campbell
- " I see my face in the mirror and go, 'I'm a Halloween costume? That's what they think of me?"
-- Drew Carey
- " I made a decision back in 1978 that, in a trade off for money when I directed Halloween, I would have my name above the title in order to basically brand these movies my own."
-- John Carpenter
- " In Halloween, I viewed the characters as simply normal teenagers. Laurie, Jamie Lee's character, was shy and somewhat repressed. And Michael Myers, the killer, is definitely repressed. They have certain similarities."
-- John Carpenter
- "In England, I'm a Horror movie director. In Germany, I'm a filmmaker. In the US, I'm a bum."
-- John Carpenter
- "For as children tremble and fear everything in the blind darkness, so we in the light sometimes fear what is no more to be feared than the things children in the dark hold in terror and imagine will come true."
-- Titus Lucretius Carus
- "There are many who dare not kill themselves for fear of what the neighbors will say."
-- Cyril Connolly
- "I think of Horror films as art, as films of confrontation. Films that make you confront aspects of your own life that are difficult to face. Just because you're making a Horror film doesn't mean you can't make an artful film."
-- David Cronenberg
- " On Halloween, the parents sent their kids out looking like me."
-- Rodney Dangerfield
- " I don't believe in evil, I believe only in Horror. In nature there is no evil, only an abundance of Horror: the plagues and the blights and the ants and the maggots."
-- Isak Dinesen
- "If a man harbors any sort of fear, it makes him landlord to a ghost."
- "Where there is no imagination there is no Horror."
-- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- "I don't believe in evil, I believe only in Horror. In nature there is no evil, only an abundance of Horror: the plagues and the blights and the ants and the maggots."
-- Isak Dinesen
- "If a man harbors any sort of fear, it makes him landlord to a ghost."
- "Perfect order is the forerunner of perfect Horror."
-- Carlos Fuentes
- "Just a little witch on high She'll tell you that your love is nigh Your fortune on Hallowe'en when told My secret will the witch unfold."
-- from an early 19th Century Halloween Postcard
- "At first cock-crow the ghosts must go Back to their quiet graves below. "
- "When you do find it, you'll define horror the only way it ever really has been defined - by each reader and writer, in an individual way."
-- Paula Guran
- "Children seldom have a proper sense of their own tragedy, discounting and keeping hidden the true Horrors of their short lives, humbly imagining real calamity to be some prestigious drama of the grown-up world."
-- Shirley Hazzard
- " I'd never watch a Horror film, but after I found out I was going to be in one, I watched, like, four of them, including The Shining, I was terrified - I couldn't sleep for days. But I wanted to get myself used to things I was going to see on the set."
-- Jennifer Love Hewitt
- "You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."
-- Eric Hoffer
- "There is a sacred Horror about everything grand. It is easy to admire mediocrity and hills; but whatever is too lofty, a genius as well as a mountain, an assembly as well as a masterpiece, seen too near, is appalling."
-- Victor Hugo
- " We were very into Kiss at the time and had made costumes for Halloween day at Bancroft Junior High School. I remember staying up all night in my dad's workshop getting our costumes together and putting on make-up. Hillel, who dressed as Paul Stanley, and I went t oschool all dressed up."
-- Jack Irons
- " I went to a party at the Playboy Mansion once. For a Halloween Party. And everyone wasn't in costume, or if they were they were little bunnies or something, and I went as Michael Jackson."
-- January Jones
- "The dream reveals the reality which conception lags behind. That is the Horror of life -- the terror of art."
-- Franz Kafka
- " The Horror genre is important because it promotes experimentation in filmmaking."
-- Richard King
- "Terror... often arises from a pervasive sense of disestablishment: that things are in the unmaking."
-- Stephen King
- "Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen, Voices whisper in the trees "Tonight is Halloween!" "
-- Dexter Kozen
- "It is a tribute to the peculiar Horror of contemporary life that it makes the worst features of earlier times -- the stupefaction of the masses, the obsessed and driven lives of the bourgeoisie -- seem attractive by comparison."
-- Christopher Lasch
- "The Horror of the Twentieth Century was the size of each new event, and the paucity of its reverberation."
-- Norman Mailer
- "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us."
-- Nelson Mandela
- "Music, even in situations of the greatest Horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music."
-- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- "This Horror of pain is a rather low instinct and... if I think of human beings I've known and of my own life, such as it is, I can't recall any case of pain which didn't, on the whole, enrich life."
-- Malcolm Muggeridge
- "That the public can grow accustomed to any face is proved by the increasing prevalence of Keith's ruined physiognomy on TV documentaries and chat shows, as familiar and homely a Horror as Grandpa in The Munsters."
-- Philip Norman
- "Man watches his history on the screen with apathy and an occasional passing flicker of Horror or indignation."
-- Conor Cruise O'Brien
- "I can't talk about Hollywood. It was a Horror to me when I was there and it's a Horror to look back on. I can't imagine how I did it. When I got away from it I couldn't even refer to the place by name. ''Out there,'' I called it."
-- Dorothy Parker
- "I have a Horror of people who speak about the beautiful. What is the beautiful? One must speak of problems in painting!"
-- Pablo Picasso
- "Blood is a cleansing and sanctifying thing, and the nation that regards it as the final Horror has lost its manhood... there are many things more horrible than bloodshed, and slavery is one of them!"
-- Padraic Pearse
- " Acting is like a Halloween mask that you put on."
-- River Phoenix
- " During my teen years, for Halloween, I went as a registered voter."
-- Martha Plimpton
- "Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, / Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."
-- Edgar Allen Poe
- "To have a Horror of the bourgeois is bourgeois."
-- Jules Renard
- "A timid person is frightened before a danger, a coward during the time, and a courageous person afterwards."
-- Jean Paul Richter
- " Charlie Brown is the one person I identify with. C.B. is such a loser. He wasn't even the star of his own Halloween special."
-- Chris Rock
- "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience by which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this Horror. I can take the next thing that comes along."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Enter now and join the dance, of creeping shadow and midnight dance. "
-- Adrian Rumble
- "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth-- more than ruin, more even than death."
-- Bertrand Russell
- "A thousand fearful images and dire suggestions glance along the mind when it is moody and discontented with itself. Command them to stand and show themselves, and you presently assert the power of reason over imagination."
-- Sir Walter Scott
- "From ghoulies and ghosties and long leggety beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us!"
- "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble."
-- William Shakespeare
- "'Tis now the very witching time of night, When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out Contagion to this world."
- "Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."
--William Shakespeare Witches in Macbeth
- "An election is a moral Horror, as bad as a battle except for the blood; a mud bath for every soul concerned in it."
-- George Bernard Shaw
- " When we forgive evil we do not excuse it, we do not tolerate it, we do not smother it. We look the evil full in the face, call it what it is, let its Horror shock and stun and enrage us, and only then do we forgive it."
-- Lewis B. Smedes
- " Halloween is huge in my house and we really get into the 'spirits' of things. A few years back, my wife was frustrated with the same old stupid sound effects tape we would play, which ends with the theme from 'Ghostbusters' and 'Monster Mash'. I told her that Halloween is way too cool a holiday to suffer through this every year."
-- Dee Snider
- "Civilization is hideously fragile [and] there's not much between us and the Horrors underneath, just about a coat of varnish."
-- C. P. Snow
- " It is interesting to note that the best periods of Italian Horror films came out of the Sixties, when Italy was enjoying a carnival period of phenomenal optimism, and the shadowy side surfaced with all of its attendant dark, beautiful, baroque, catholic symbolism."
-- Barbara Steele
- " When I was a kid my family was really poor and I remember one Halloween I wanted to dress up really scary and my parents came home with a duck costume. I wore that costume for years! I hated it."
-- R. L. Stine
- " Horror movies can be very interesting because they can deal with intangible subjects that are full of emotion."
-- Meg Tilly
- "He's not stupid; he's possessed by a retarded ghost."
- "Just like a ghost, you've been a-hauntin' my dreams, So I'll propose... on Halloween. Love is kinda crazy with a spooky little girl like you. "
--Dennis Yost and the Classics IV, "SPOOKY"
- " I think most people, even if they say they hate Horror movies, there's that feeling you get inside that you love. I mean, I love it. I love to have the hairs on the back of my neck stand up or get that chill up my spine."
-- Barry Watson
- "One might say that the true subject of the Horror genre is the struggle for recognition of all that our civilization represses and oppresses. "
-- Robin Wood
- "I moved to New York City for my health. I'm paranoid and New York was the only place where my fears were justified."
-- Anita Weiss
- "The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing Horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish."
-- Evelyn Waugh
- "It is well for his peace that the saint goes to his martyrdom. He is spared the sight of the Horror of his harvest."
-- Oscar Wilde
- "Unlike fantasy, supernatural fiction and science fiction - terms which describe generic structure - horror is a term which describes an affect. A horror story makes its readers feel horror. - John Clute and John Grant Horror is not a genre ... horror is an emotion."
-- Douglas E. Winter
- " For some reason, Horror movies, they seem like good date movies. When you go to them it's all high school kids, all over each other, running up and down the isles, no one is even looking at the screen anyways, they figure they don't have to pay attention to the story anyways. We scream and yell... it's like mayhem."
-- Rob Zombie
|Orchid Nine Patch|
Content copyright © 2015 by Danielle Hollister. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Danielle Hollister. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact