Guest Author - Clare Stubbs
Trying to come up with a different dish for family and friends can be a challenge but one thing you could do is get a bit of help with a slow cooker. After an attempt at Greek style chicken using this piece of equipment, it was soon discovered that the meal was not only filling, it packed a punch when it came to flavor.
The recipe involves the use of fresh chicken as well as a variety of fresh and tinned vegetables. The ingredients listed are ones that you can change, so if there is something you would prefer then this is the opportunity to put your own personality on a plate.
Ingredients (serves 2 – 3)
6 fresh chicken thighs (on the bone) / 4 - 6 boneless chicken breasts
5 or 6 tablespoons of olive oil
2 large carrots
2 large pieces of broccoli
3 cloves of garlic
240g / 8.47 oz chickpeas (drained weight)
325g / 11.46 oz potatoes (drained weight)
Juice of 2 lemons
1. The first step is to place the chicken in the slow cooker. If there are any bones on the meat then you can remove them but it is also okay to leave them in as they will usually come away once the chicken is cooked.
2. Mix the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice as well as the preferred amount of oregano, salt and pepper into a large bowl and stir. Pour on top of the chicken and stir again.
3. Set the cooker on a high heat for approximately 6 hours or on a low heat for 8 to 10 hours.
4. Prepare the carrots, broccoli and shallots as well as draining and rinsing the chickpeas and potatoes before adding to the cooker. These should be placed in the pot around 1 hour prior to the relevant finish time.
5. Make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked and that all bones are removed. Drain off any left over liquid before serving and enjoy.
Slow Cooked Greek Chicken
You can serve this dish on its own or if you prefer, there are a number of items to accompany such a meal. These could include: a feta cheese side salad or some freshly baked pita bread.