Getting Married in Sweden

Getting Married in Sweden
A romantic wedding in Sweden... the stuff that dreams are made of! If you are planning on getting married in Sweden, there are several legal hoops to jump through. The key to success, as always, is good research and preparation.

Always check with your embassy well in advance for up-to-date requirements. Many embassies recommend that you arrange your Swedish wedding through a professional agency, but here are some guidelines if you choose to do-it-yourself.


The following documents may be required:

- Passports
- Birth certificates - long form including names of parents
- Evidence of termination of all previous marriages – previous marriage certificates, final divorce decrees (including certificate of finality of divorce), annulment decrees or death certificates
- Certificates of no impediment (Hindersprövning)
- Military personnel must submit consent to the marriage from their Commanding Officer

Approval of Foreign Divorce - Swedish authorities may require authentication of divorce decrees by the local Swedish consular officer where the document was issued.

Certificates of No Impediment (Hindersprövning) - Generally available from consular offices in Sweden and registry offices in home countries. These certificates are not available in some countries including the U.S. In such cases, Swedish authorities generally accept affidavits, sworn before a consular officer in Sweden, from these citizens in lieu of the hindersprövning. For further information on foreign legislation relating to impediments to marriage, contact the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

All civil documents should be originals endorsed with an Apostille Stamp.

All documents issued in a foreign language must be accompanied by official translations.

Ceremonies – Civil

Appear, in person, to register your intended marriage at the Local Tax Administration (Skatteverket) where the parties have permanent or temporary residence in Sweden. After the ceremony, the registrar (vigselförrättare) informs the Skatteverket.

For further information, please contact:

Länsstyrelsen (County Administration Office)
Box 22067, 104 22 Stockholm
Phone: 8 785 40 00

Rådhuset (Stockholm Tingsrätt)
Fleminggatan 14, Box 8307, 104 20 Stockholm
Phone: 8 657 50 00

Stadshuset (Stockholm City Hall)
Ragnar Östbergs Plan, 105 35 Stockholm
Phone: 8 508 29 006

Ceremonies - Religious

A Church of Sweden (Lutheran State Church) ceremony can only be performed if at least one party is registered with the Church of Sweden. Only Swedish citizens or foreign residents of Sweden may be members of this Church.

For more information, please contact:

Stockholms Stift
Box 2016, 103 11 Stockholm
Munkbrogatan 2
Phone: 8 508 940 00

Marriage Certificate

After the ceremony, you should obtain the official registration of your marriage from the Skatteverket.

This site needs an editor - click to learn more!

You Should Also Read:
Getting Married in Denmark
More on Sweden
Sweden Facts

Related Articles
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Previous Features
Site Map

Content copyright © 2022 by Lisa Shea. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lisa Shea. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.